Custom (ghetto) Hops Dryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naked_Hops

Reaction score
So this is my attempt at a hops dryer. I took an old locker, a 1500w space heater, some old lumber and screen, and an inline duct fan, and threw it together. I snagged some hops off the vine a little early, and am giving it a test run.

I have a hamburger thermometer stabbed through the locker, and it reads 108 to 116 all the time. I also have the heater set on low.

I tired it without the exaust fan and the temps got up to 129 in just 10 min.

Any advice would be great. I'll take any and all ideas I can get to improve on this.

579-p8160138.jpg

580-p8160139.jpg

583-p8160143.jpg

very nice - i was going to make something to dry mine before harvest this year - but harvest looks 2 weeks away and nothing is made yet.

I've got about $50 and 3 or 4 hours on this. I'll polish it up a little more, but the basic idea is gonna stay the same.

It's a nice set up, keep in mind that the hotter you dry them the more of the good oils, etc. that you drive off. Maybe you can blow the heat in through the bottom vents from the outside so you get lower temps.

What temps should I be shooting for? I have 50-60 plants I have to dry, so I have to balance low temps with some speed. I thought 140F was the highest you could go without loosing oils. I figured 110ish would be ideal. I'm open to suggestion though.

Ghetto? What kind of "ghetto" are YOU living in? LOL

That looks pretty sweet and the idea of it being vertical is nice touch to reduce the footprint.

My ghetto concept was going to be the typical window screen with fan blowing on it. Even more ghetto was to just use the hops wet, freshly picked from the bine.

140F is the highest temp you can go to without breaking down the alpha acids. Most of the oils begin to evaporate at 100F and some as low as 79F. The lower the temperature, the better from the quality standpoint.

The idea of adding heat is to lower the relative humidity. The lower the RH, the larger the driving force is to pull moisture out of the hop and into the air. So where is this thing located? In a cool, humid basement? Then heat may be needed, but hold off until the end of the drying period. Even 70% RH air will dry the cones down to 20%-ish moisture content given enough time.

Airflow comments:

1.) AIR IS LAZY. It will take the path of least resistance. You see those gaps on the left and right of your screens. They don't matter at this point, but if you fill those trays up, the air is going to look at those gaps and say, "Man, wouldn't it be easier to go there then push my way through all those green things?" And it will. The air will bypass the hops and you'll be drying forever.

2.) Seal that thing up. Close off those vents at the top. Its called "short-circuiting". Basically, the fan will pull air through those instead of the bottom vents and bypass most of the hops. Likewise, use some weather stripping around the door to get a better seal so the air is only coming in the bottom where you want it.

3.) Be ready to shuffle trays. With 5 trays there, the bottoms ones will dry faster than the top. This is because the as the bottom trays give up their moisture to the air, the RH rises. Higher RH means lower driving force to evaporate moisture, so the top hops see a longer drying time. To even this out, shuffle the trays around. Of course this somewhat depends on the velocity of the airflow. If the velocity is high enough it won't matter as much. Of course if it is too high, you will fluidize your hops (make them jiggle/float) and you will shake the lupulin all out of them...assuming this is upflow configuration. What's the CFM of that fan and the area of the cabinet? shoot for around 1 ft/sec through the bed.

This is a good idea, but if you can find it a 35mm film drying cabinet is even better. Obviously, people are getting rid of them these days, they come with fan and heat installed and do a good job of self sealing. Check ebay or craigslist.

50-60 plants? What year are they and how many varieties? If they are all the same (same harvest date), I'm pretty sure you won't have enough capacity in this at full maturity.

One suggestion. Turn the door upside down. That way the vent on the door would be on the bottom (intake) and the fan is on the top (exhaust). Just a thought.

Ghetto? What kind of "ghetto" are YOU living in? LOL

My ghetto concept was going to be the typical window screen with fan blowing on it. Even more ghetto was to just use the hops wet, freshly picked from the bine.
So true, my version of ghetto is just fly-wire-mesh next to an open doorway, not even a fan involved.
The OP is welcome to come and build me a 'ghetto' hop dryer anytime, looks like a good idea to me.

As usual Dan, you have some great ideas. I am going to rebuild this entire thing over the next week.

You make an excellent point about the air running up the sides. I'll have to make due with it for now, but on my other one, I'll make sure that the air has no choice other than to run through the hops.

What would you think if I made 48"x48" screens that were 4" to 6" deep. Could I throw that up on saw horses and point some fans on it? I use the second floor on my barn where it's warm and dry.

Kinda off topic, but here it goes...

I've got a brewer that is willing to brew with the whole hops, but he says he would love them some day in pellets. We chatted some more and wondered if he could use powder. The hops have to go into a hammer mill, but why pelletize them? They just turn to sludge in the kettle. Any thoughts?

I like the screen idea, but I maybe wouldn't go that deep. A fan blowing on or across them will only get a cone or two deep. So you would either have to turn them often or you would get very un-even drying. Warm doesn't matter, dry does. The hops only care what the relative humidity is. Remember, above 100F and you loose oils. Above 140 and you loose alpha acids.

Another experiment you may want to try in your foot locker oast is turning the fan around so it pushes down on the hops. I have a couple experimental oasts very similar to what you built and I'm looking at moving the air up vs. down. Pushing down gives me more forgiveness on the air speed because I don't have to worry about them "floating". But it also seems to cause them to settle lower. this gives me more room, but it also causes the cones to stay tighter which may be lengthening my drying time. If you have a chance to run two batches, I would be interested in seeing you try it and see what you get.

Yeah, we have figured that less than 1% of the market can be satisfied by whole hops. The rest want pellets.

Why pelletize? Your right. If you brewed with pellets or the powder that comes out of the hammer mill, you would most likely end up with the exact same product. The reason for pelletizing is a further reduction in volume. That powder is more compact than the whole cone, but it still takes up 3 times or more the volume of pellets. That means more packaging and more cooler space.

Pelletizing also reduces surface area so there is less chance of oxidation which means longer shelf life.

Theres a bunch of other reasons, but I have to go tend my oasts now. There are several hundred pounds of Mt. Hoods calling for me.

By the way, if you are interested in pelletizing yours in the future, let me know. Wisconsin is too far for you to send them, but I may have a solution for you anyway.

NickelD: It looks good. Just be careful with going to deep. Those box fans put out 2000 to 3000 cfm with no resistance. Put a little resistance in front and it drops to 600CFM or less in no time. Just keep feeling for air flow as you pile the hops up.

I put this together as a prototype to dry mine out. Sorry to high jack

Sweet boxes! I just made a quick and simple imitation screen door out of some old random lumber I had around the garage and a roll of $7 aluminum screen from HD. It should do the trick for my first year.

Cheers

Is it best to push the air done rather than up? Also, Would it be best to allow more space between the shelves to increase the over all flow through out the chamber?

580-p8160139.jpg

Only reason I ask is that I may have easy access to an old locker which would be a sweet pick up and drying cabinet if this thing works well.

Please keep us posted on your results.

Just curious if any of the people who pictured oasts her have any updates on their builds? building one myself and need some guidance.

Back