Fermentation Temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmoney

Reaction score
Last night I made a stout, it is the second beer I have brewed. Both times I have had trouble maintaining a temp at which the yeast will stay active. Does anyone have any suggestions or tricks that can help me out with this? What is the best temp to keep the beer at while fermenting?

A water bath setup with an aquarium heater to raise temps, or ice to bring down temps is a very common way to control temperature. I like to keep my ales around 62-65 while they're fermenting.

You can also get a "brew belt" which is essentially a thin electric heating pad that goes around your bucket or carboy, sometimes simply insulating with a blanket will get you there if you're not far off.

Of course the easiest method is to conduct your fermenting in a room that you can keep at the correct temperature.

Thanks for the advice! I wrapped it up in a towel an put it next to the radiator, its working very well!

Yes, be careful you don't get it too warm. You don't want to let it get over 70, so don't leave it too close to the heat source.

Back