Wyeast 1098

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnakeAnthony6375

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience they'd like to share regarding Wyeast 1098? I have a pack in the fridge and was looking to brew an IPA. I don't see too much out there with this is use, but was hoping someone could share their thoughts...?

Thanks!

1089 will make a fine IPA. An English IPA for sure would be tasty using it but it is a pretty clean yeast for an English yeast so even an American IPA would be fine using it. I say go for it.

Ed

I've used it in an English IPA that came out amazing, won me a couple medals. I've also used it in an English Barleywine that's been aging for 6 months. Don't know how good it is because I haven't tasted it in over 5 months but I got damn good attenuation and it came in at over 10%. I've also used it recently on a English Brown ale and a Robust Porter. Both came out very good but I wish I fermented a little lower in temp because they came out a little fruity.

1098 works great and is the cleanest of the british yeasts i've used and i have a lot of love for it. personally though for ipas i prefer wyeast 1028...i just like the minerally profile against the bitterness of the hops. personal preference, though, nothing more...in short 1098 will turn out a tasty ipa.

I pitched two packs in a two quart starter for a 1.064 American style IPA and the ferment is an absolute monster. Blow off after one day of about two quarts with fierce gas (in a good way)

Dumped the blow off, smells like red apples.

Will report back on attenuation.

1098 is the fastest to start yeast I've ever used.

I don't make starters and often use the dry US-05, but I've also used 1054, 1272 and the 3711 Wyeast, and all of them take about 12-24 hours to start showing airlock activity for me.

I've used the 1098 twice, and both times (without changing anything about my brewing/aerating/pitching technique), I had airlock activity within 2-4 hours, and within 12 hours, it's bubbling like crazy. It usually finishes really fast too, even when I try to slow it down :)

I just used this for the first time on this malt bill:

93% 2-row
3.5% Munich 10
3.5% C 15
Mashed at 150

1.064 OG on Saturday, pitched about 250 billion cells and checked the gravity on Tuesday night it's at 1.009 that's 85% apparent attenuation fermented at 64-66. This blows out the 74% that Wyeast says it will attenuate.

Back