Attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigloveystyle

Reaction score
I brewed a big stout on 9/24 that had an OG of 1.098. I used two packages of Safale US-04. My LHBS guy told me that I did not need to rehydrate the yeast because it was fairly fresh. I expect it to finish around 1.020 and I checked the gravity last night and it was 1.037. So I shook the hell out of it and moved it to a warmer location, it was in a 60 degree environment for the last couple weeks. Seems like a high gravity after being in there for almost two weeks. How long should I give it before pitching more yeast?

Through in some yeast nutrient or energizer you shouldn't have to pitch more yeast.

It is a little late to be adding nutrient. I wouldn't do that.

Move it to a warmer location. 60 is at the low end of that yeast, if it was a couple of degrees lower, it would stall the yeast. The air temperature may be 60 F, but what is the temperature of the floor? The fermenter will take on the temperature of the floor rather than the air.

It's a carpeted floor so it would pretty close to the same as the air temperature. It bubbled hard but did not have much of a foam cap. I'll check it in a few days to see if the gravity has changed. I appreciate the help!

Still stalled at 1.037. Time to pitch more yeast? Why would it stall? I used two packages of yeast, thought it would certainly be enough

Well it's a debate topic but I'm a huge proponent of rehydration. It has nothing to do with age and viability, it's about a systematic physiological change from shriveled and freeze-dried, to expanded, healthy and active. Nothing living benefits by going from one extreme to another without accomodation.

Start warming it into the 68-70F range. If the yeast is flocculating, rouse it, and I would rouse it daily until you see that gravity move or visual signs of fermentation.

Back