Staying in Columbus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullinachinashop

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'll be in Columbus, Ohio this weekend (10/12-10/13)
I'll be staying on the northern end of town by 71 and 270.
Any input on local places to check out would be appreciated.
I know the wife and daughter will be shopping at Polaris and I can't force myself to join them.
Also, if anyone is local, I wouldn't mind grabbing a beer if I can get away from the group I'm with.
:mug:
Bull

Bodega is usually super packed and full of hipsters... You could try Barleys Smokehouse in Grandview (?), Neil House Brewery but have to check hours of operations... Depending where you are in NE Ohio (I grew up right off the lake), you might have heard or been to Winking Lizard, good beer selection. Beer stores? The Andersons off of Sawmil Rd and Kenny Rd market off of Bethel Rd are 2 of the best.

Elevator Brewing Co was pretty good as is Columbus Brewing Co both could be options for you.

If you are willing to make a 30 minute trip, Buckeye Lake Brewery is quite new to the scene, but had some tasty options.

We'll be in Upper Arlington during the day on Friday and Saturday.
Were going for the State Finals Golf Tournament.
I think that may be close to the German Village. I've been there before.:drunk:
The parent group I'm with may or may not be interested.

Out of curiosity how far NE are you??

Well if you are dealing with a parent group, Barley's has some good BBQ but also has a brew house. Winking lizard is family friendly with a few hundred of beers to choose from. Oh and there is World of Beer but may be too downtown for you.

I recommend Elevator. Great beer and the food is awesome too. Barleys Smokehouse is very good as well and a little cheaper than Elevator. If you are in Upper Arlington you should be close to the Barleys in Grandview. If you go to German Village Elevator and Columbus Brewing Co. are both fairly close to there. Also if you are in German Village and just want the best burger you will ever have stop by Thurman Cafe. Not really a place to get good beer but their food is worth it. Prepare to wait for a table though.

New place just opened at sawmill and hard rd. it's in a Kroger strip. It's called 101 beer kitchen or something. I only mention cause its new and I hope to go soon. I would def go with the other suggestions first. Elevator great food, world of beers, barleys smokehouse they are all great.

Definitely check out Bodega in the Short North. 52 beers on draft and they rotate out a lot. It gets a little crowded during happy hour (4-8 weekdays) since all drafts are half off, but it's still manageable. I go at least once per week. Food is good too!

Check out Columbus Brewing Company, just south of downtown in the Brewery District. Their IPA and DIPA are both world-class, and it's a nice brewpub. Barley's also has a good brewpub downtown with some great brews (they have a downtown brewpub and the smokehouse on the west side, not sure how the beer selections compare between the two). Never been to Elevator but I've heard good things.

World of Beer is right by CBC, it's worth checking out. They have 50 drafts and a ton of bottles, but it's a little pricier than a place like Bodega. There's no food there, but there are a few places you can order from and have delivered to your table.

For non-beer oriented stuff, Surly Girl is my favorite restaurant (it's a block away from Bodega)...love the food and atmosphere there. Thurmans Cafe in German Village has the best burgers you'll ever have, but try to get there right when they open - you can wait 2 hours for a table if you go during dinner. Marcella's has fantastic Italian food if you're looking for somewhere a little nicer.

Cheers!

Big - is the 101 place you mention opened now?? Haven't heard of it, but drive by sawmill every night on my way home from work (granted getting off northbound is a nightmare)

SWMBO and I love Surly Girl as well! Decent beer selection for what it is.

Sorry union, but what are you talking about? The OP is from NE Ohio and is making a trip to Columbus...

Another poster was referring to N Columbus as NEO. Not the op. I live in NEO as well for most of my life. I thought the map with addys was pretty cool. It'd be nice if all states had something similar.

Gotcha... my post you are referring to stated that depending on where the OP lives in NE Ohio he may have already heard of or have been to the Winking Lizard chain of which there are 2 in Columbus. They have a very nice beer selection which is why I offer it as an option :)

Cheers!

Edit - yeah that map is pretty cool!

didn't know winkin lizard made it south to Columbus. Wish we had some of those brew pubs & the like here in Sheffield/Avon area. Don't like driving so far with a buzz on to get home again.

If you're staying on the North Side, the closest place I can think of is Bob's Bar. They have a ton of great beer and its cheap. The area isn't all that great but if the women are going shopping, convince them to go to Easton instead of Polaris, then a mile down the road to Bobs Bar. http://www.bobsbar.com/index.asp

If you're venturing down to the Short North and Bodega is jammed (it usually is) try House Beer, its a block away. The place is brand new and I don't know if they have a real website yet. http://www.columbusunderground.com/...ttle-shop-ale-house-hybrid-to-the-short-north.

Local Bar in the Short North has ~25 taps and most are really good.

World of Beers in the Brewery District / German Village has an awesome selection of beer but its a bit over priced.

If you want dinner, either Columbus Brewing Co. or Elevator have awesome food. Barleys has decent BBQ and decent beer.

Unfortunately, none of these places are particularly close to you if you're on the north side of the city.

If you're going to be at Polaris there is a BJ's in the parking lot of Polaris Mall. Easton is about 6.5 miles from Bob's but still not that far, Polaris is about the same distance.

Yeah, after looking at a map Bobs is a lot further than I thought. If you're making a night of it I'd head to the Short North or Brewery District. The short north has more bars and almost all of the restaurants are awesome.

www.101beerkitchen.com/
Looks like the beer kitchen opened 10-1. Says 20 craft brews on tap. Checked the draft list, not too bad. Looked pricey though. I'm on the wall of foam at local roots in Powell so I get craft Ohio beers for $3 a 20 oz and that's a deal.

Thanks for the link! Food looks good, beer selection looks good as well, but agreed it is pricey... the "No beer for < $5" doesn't match up too competitively. Looking at the bottle list, all are 12 oz for $5.00+.... perhaps some would be okay at that price per pint. $5.00 for a bottle of Commodore Perry?? Lol sure....

Might have to have a date night this Thursday to give it a try.

Thanks again!

Wow,
Thanks for all the input.
Sounds like I have quite a few options.
I'm sure my wife and daughter will be spending some time on Friday afternoon/evening on the Polaris strip.
I'll try to find a local dropoff spot to have a few pints and then maybe to the brewery district for dinner.
Saturday's a toss up.
As far As the Winking Lizard goes, I have one a couple miles from my home so although they have a good selection, if I can find a local place, I'd rather.
Thanks again for all the input.
If you ever come to Cleveland, I'll be glad to return the favor.
Bull

At 101... you can buy a 64 oz growler for $5.00 and fill it with Yeti Imperial Stout for $15! Say waaa??

Yea had a date night yesterday. Food was pretty good. I didn't expect they would be doing growler sales. First clue was the server bringing us a water-filled growler.

Oh and Anderson's will also be selling growlers as of 11/1, FYI.

ForumRunner_20121012_142223.jpg

Looks like we're going to Logan's roadhouse as a group tonight and the woman will be going to the mall across the street. Hopefully they'll have some craft beer and maybe I'll find a bar close. Oh well, gotta please everyone!

Their tater tots appetizer with pork croutons, cheese, green onions and sirachi cream were very good! Burger was tasty, love brioche buns... still debating that growler of yeti for $15 but know it would be a challenge to drink 64oz and cause one holy hell of a hangover lol. Some beer seemed over priced but all in all I suggest giving it a try!

Bull - which Logan's? Easton or Sawmill?

I'm really excited to try that 101 Beer Kitchen. Making the wife take me there for my birthday in a few weeks.

Their tater tots appetizer with pork croutons, cheese, green onions and sirachi cream were very good! Burger was tasty, love brioche buns... still debating that growler of yeti for $15 but know it would be a challenge to drink 64oz and cause one holy hell of a hangover lol. Some beer seemed over priced but all in all I suggest giving it a try!

Bull - which Logan's? Easton or Sawmill?

We went to Easton.
Afterwords we went to the mall and 4 of the guys sat outside at Smith & Wollensky's and had a couple of cigars and some IPA's.:D

Back