First Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBailey

Reaction score
Ok, finally decided to branch out a bit from APAs and IPAs. Decided on a Dubbel and kind of like the bready notes in New Belgium's beers. Came up with this recipe.
6 Gallon Batch Size:

Est. OG: 1.062
Est. FG: 1.007
Bitterness: 23 IBU
Color: 9.9 SRM
Est. ABV: 7.3%

8# US Pale Malt
2# Belgian Biscuit
1# Caravienne
2# Turbinado @ 30 min.
14gm. Perle Pellet(6.5%AA) FWH
40gm. Perle Pellet(6.5%AA) @ 15 min.
11.5gm. Fermentis S-33 yeast (rehydrated)

Single infusion mash @150F for 90 min. (1.5qt./lb.)
Batch sparge w/no mash out.

Pre boil volume: 7.81 gal.
60 min.boil

Fermentation:
Single stage 28 days.
7 days @ 64 F
Increase temp. 2 degrees/day to 78 F
Keg and carbonate to 2.8 volumes
Age for 30 days.

Any feedback on this recipe would be appreciated.

Thanks,

bob

I'd say you need some dark candi syrup (D180 from candisyrup.com or D2 from darkcandi.com) for the authentic flavor. Once I started using it, I realized that it was the flavor my dubbels had been missing. I'd cut back in the biscuit malt and add maybe 1/2 lb. of Special B.

Thanks Denny. I figured the first reply would include advice to cut back on the biscuit, but I just love that stuff :) I just might scrap the dubbel brew tomorrow and order up some dark candi. Maybe brew an APA instead.

Thanks again.

Bob

S-33 will give you no Belgian flavor at all. Not sure why it gets listed for Belgian beers, but it is the old Edme strain and doesn't supply the flavor the true Belgian strains do. For dry at least use T-58, if not using liquid instead.

I'd say you need some dark candi syrup (D180 from candisyrup.com or D2 from darkcandi.com) for the authentic flavor. Once I started using it, I realized that it was the flavor my dubbels had been missing. I'd cut back in the biscuit malt and add maybe 1/2 lb. of Special B.

I agree with this. The syrup really does add a nice flavor and a little special B is also good. You might also want to consider Belgian Pils instead of the Us Pale.

For a good Dubbel use a good Belgian yeast. S-33 is not a good choice. I have not tried T-58 so I cannot comment on that. I prefer either 3787 or 1214.

Also you BU:GU ratio is a little on the high side. It is at .37. More traditional is a BU:GU ratio of .29.

enjoy your brew.

I made a Belgian Blonde recently with T-58 and really recommend that if you plan on using dry yeast. It has a very nice fruity/spicy flavor.

S-33 will give you no Belgian flavor at all. Not sure why it gets listed for Belgian beers, but it is the old Edme strain and doesn't supply the flavor the true Belgian strains do. For dry at least use T-58, if not using liquid instead.

You're absolutely right...I missed that! I prefer WY3787 for my dubbels.

Thanks guys. I brewed the recipe as posted because I had all the ingredients on hand. Will take your recommendations next time and try for a realistic dubbel.

Bob

Did a little research and found that the origin of edme is the English Diastatic Malt Extract Company Ltd..
Fermentis lists S-33 as being primarily for Trappist ales and Belgian wheats. Where's the link? I know I've heard for quite some time that S-33 is the Edme strain, not just in this thread. Does anyone have info that points to this?

Did a little research and found that the origin of edme is the English Diastatic Malt Extract Company Ltd..
Fermentis lists S-33 as being primarily for Trappist ales and Belgian wheats. Where's the link? I know I've heard for quite some time that S-33 is the Edme strain, not just in this thread. Does anyone have info that points to this?

Only my own experience. I used it a couple times and there was nothing Belgian about it.

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shopping...-S%2d33-(Edme)-%2d-Dry-Yeast-(11.5-gram).html

http://www.breworganic.com/safbrews-33edmealeyeast11g.aspx

IME, you'll get the best results by starting in the mid 60s and after 3-7 days letting the temp rise.

that all depends on the yeast strain. In my experience certain strains like it hot right away and others like trappist high grav and WLP500, the protocol you describe works great.

Wyeast 3724, belgian saison, pitch warm and and ferment hot!

Smarter minds than mine came up with the information about S33. In my own experience I tried making a Belgian Blonde with it and it had absolutely no "Belgian" character to it, and didn't flocculate well.

Wow! The S-33 kicked butt. Active fermentation started in about 5 hours and after 2 wild days with lots of blowoff subsided, so started ramping up the temp. Up to 76 now. Will take a gravity reading Monday and see what it looks like, then bring it back down to low 60s to help clear if it's ready. Guess cold crashing will have to happen in the keg as I am brewing an APA Tuesday and need fridge back to 62 or so for that. Will post when I gat a taste in a month or so.

After 28 days in primary and a month in the keg, this is a nice beer. Not as clear as desired and just a little sweet for my taste, but everyone else really likes it. The 2 lbs. of biscuit malt stands out without being overpowering and some nice mild esters come through too.

I think I'll brew this again with some tweaking if the hop schedule and cold crash it for a couple of weeks.

Might even brew a real dubbel too :)

Thanks again for your comments and advice,

Bob

Back