Chinook Cascade IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin0782

Reaction score
Chinook and Cascade IPA

Grains
11.5 lbs American 2-row
1 lb Munich 10
8 oz Carafoam
4 oz Crystal 40

Hops
1.25 oz Nugget @ 60
.5 oz Chinook @ 15
.5 oz Cascade @ 15
1 oz Chinook @ 10
1 oz Cascade @ 5
1 oz Cascade @ Flame-out (Steep 15 Min)
1 oz Chinook @ Flame-out (Steep 15 Min)
1.5 oz Cascade Dry Hop
1.5 oz Chinook Dry Hop

Yeast
US-05

Readings
Estimated OG - 1.061 (If 70% efficiency)
Estimated FG - 1.010
Estimated ABV - 6.7%

Anything wrong here? This will be my first time doing all grain. My biggest question is how to ensure I get it down to right around 1.010 (assuming I get my efficiency of 70%). I like my IPA to finish there. I've been doing partial mash beers with 5-6 lbs of grain and I always mashed at about 150-151. Doing that got me down to 1.010 when using 4-4.5 lbs light extract. But, since I'm not using extract I'm unsure. And I'd rather it not finish too dry... Any advice?

To get more fermentable sugars you need to mash 148-151F.

Also if it seems to stall arcs higher gravity look into adding some honey. I've heard of people using honey in IPAs with good results.

Nothing wowingly special, but nothing wrong either. Reminiscent of the Pliny clone, but tweaked a bit. You'll have a fine beer either way.

I would suggest 60 / 5 / 0 / DH for more aroma. 15 and 10 don't give you as much aroma as 5 and 0 IME.

ahhhh, chinook and cascade. love the combo. I bitter with magnums, but love, love, love the chinook/cascade combo (my house ipa).

might consider moving the 15's to a first wort hopping (good info on here about it). also go with the temps mentioned in the posts above. should dry out nice but not too low. i think i mash at 152 and usually hit 1.011-12ish with wyeast american ale II (1272). no experience with us-05 but i know they are not too far off. solid looking recipe though, and a good one to go all grain.

good luck with the all grain. it's that much more love you can put into your beer. keep us posted.

b

Looks mighty tasty. I would leave it as is. I don't use the dry yeast that often but to "ensure" you get down to your 1.010 I would follow the instructions and rehydrate so that you have a healthy vigorous fermentation.

I am not sure where this came from but dry yeast has a lot less cell count / package than the liquid yeast (20 billion vs 100 billion). For a 1.060 brew I would for sure do a liquid starter but you don't do starters for dry so If I were doing a 1.060 brew with dry yeast, I would pitch two packs of dry yeast with proper hydration.

Looks mighty tasty. I would leave it as is. I don't use the dry yeast that often but to "ensure" you get down to your 1.010 I would follow the instructions and rehydrate so that you have a healthy vigorous fermentation.

I am not sure where this came from but dry yeast has a lot less cell count / package than the liquid yeast (20 billion vs 100 billion). For a 1.060 brew I would for sure do a liquid starter but you don't do starters for dry so If I were doing a 1.060 brew with dry yeast, I would pitch two packs of dry yeast with proper hydration.

If you're talking about the 11.5g packs of yeast, I think you have it backwards. According to Mr Malty, there's enough yeast in a pack to ferment up to about 1.060 without a starter (and without under pitching).

If you want the official analysis, here is their specification sheet for us-05. http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/EN/Safale_US-05_HB.pdf

Cheers!

Damn, that looks good. If you want to make sure it dries out, you can always add 1/2lb table sugar or honey to the boil. Or do as other people say and mash at 150-151. Either way, looks like a great beer to me.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I will go ahead and brew it as I wrote it, mashing at 151. With 3 oz of dry hops, I think it will have enough aroma. This will be first time using Chinook, and I'm really looking forward to it. As far as the yeast, unless I knock it out of the park and get 75-80% efficiency I'll just pitch 1 package right into the wort like I usually do. My 1.060ish beers have always done very well with that method. If I happen to have incredible beginners luck with all grain and end up with a high OG, I'll just pitch another half package or so.

I will update in a few weeks once I've brewed it!

mjohnson said:
If you're talking about the 11.5g packs of yeast, I think you have it backwards. According to Mr Malty, there's enough yeast in a pack to ferment up to about 1.060 without a starter (and without under pitching).

If you want the official analysis, here is their specification sheet for us-05. http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/EN/Safale_US-05_HB.pdf

Cheers!

The safale specs say how much yeast was put in the package, not what you should get out of it. The mr malty page claims him and another dude both count ~20 billion per pack. I would trust a true yeast count on what comes out of the package, not what goes in but that is just me.

You are right though, MrMalty pitching calc for dry yeast does say that one 11.5 g package is recommended for a 1.060 OG. I would still throw two in because that is assumed that everything else like aeration and fermentable sugars are in tip top condition. I am just saying, if he wants to be certain to reach a low gravity, pitch a little extra to avoid cutting it close. They are cheap enough anyway. As always, this is my crazy opinion and I am just an anal basturd that likes to take out uncertainty!

Alright, well I just finished up brewing this one. Slightly changed from the original post.

12 lbs US 2-row
1 lb Munich 10
8 oz Carapils
2 oz Crystal 120 (for just a touch of color)

1.5 oz Nugget @ 60
.5 oz Chinook @ 15
.5 oz Cascade @ 15
1 oz Chinook @ 10
1 oz Cascade @ 5
1 oz Cascade @ Flame-out (Steep 15 Min)
1 oz Chinook @ Flame-out (Steep 15 Min)
1.5 oz Cascade Dry Hop
1.5 oz Chinook Dry Hop

Ended up with a slightly high mash temp. 152-153°F. And OG was a little low, only about 1.058. So, efficiency was not great nor horrible. I'm going to tighten up my Barley Crusher one notch for the next batch, see if that helps. I didn't change it from the factory setting. I thought about adding 6-8 oz of cane sugar in a few days, not sure if I will or not. Overall though, my first all-grain was mostly a success, at least on brewday. Clearly some tweaks needed in my process, but I sort of expected that. We'll see how it tastes in about 3 weeks.

Hydrometer sample today tastes pretty good! A little yeasty right now, but it's at a final gravity of 1.009!! 6.4% ABV. Time for the dry hop!

Well, I just kegged it up tonight. I'm a little underwhelmed by the aroma, I expected quite a bit more from 3 oz and 10 days. Maybe Chinook and Cascade just don't give you the punch of Simcoe or Citra? I just finished drinking a keg of Simcoe dry hopped IPA so, maybe it's relative. And maybe it will come out with some time and once the carbonation settles in. I hope so. Overall, however, pretty successful for my first all-grain!

Back