Tastes like BACON!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trophy_Brew21

Reaction score
Went down to Long Beach, Ca this past week, while I was down there I grabbed a couple 4 packs of some DogFish Head. I got some 90 min, and Palo Santo. Of course the 90 was great like normal, but the Palo tasted like bacon. First time I've ever had it, does it normally taste like that, or just a bad batch? I wouldn't think a bad batch since DFH is great on quality control. I just thought it was weird. Also picked up a 6 pack of the Lost Coast Brewery Nut brown, that was great, and a 6 pack of Allagash White witch was pretty good aswell. But I was disappointed in the Palo Santo

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Bacon.

I don't know about Palo Santo, but I have some homebrewing friends who are trying to brew a bacon beer. Their biggest challenge is to keep any form of head retention.

haha, i love beer and love bacon. You can never go wrong with either one of them. But together.....it is a little weird, and would like to keep them separated to be honest! Its a brown ale aged on Palo Santo Wood from Paraguay, and have no idea where the bacon flavor comes from, unless the wood is bacon wood! haha

I've had it a few times and never got a bacon flavor from it. I thought there was too much of an alcohol taste to it though.

Interesting...it must of been my taste buds. It was definitely not like any other brown that I've ever had before. I brought some back with me, so will have to try again, and see if my taste buds were just off or something!

It did seem to have a high taste of alcohol, compared to most high ABV beers I've had. DFH says it has a carmel and vanilla hint to it, but I did not pick those up at all.

These beers probably taste like bacon, but I'm not too interested trying them.

Glass-of-Rogue-Bacon-Maple-Porter-e1317071973876.jpg

tumblr_m0fmno3pmE1qzi67ho1_500.jpg

Like stated before I love bacon, and love beer. But not together, haha. Thanks for finding those pics, good adds to the post!

I had another bottle tonight, and shared with by beer buddies.....taste like bacon and poop! I'm sorry dogfish Head but palo santo is nasty!

There must be some rausch malt in there. Imparts a smokey, ham, bacon like flavor.

I went to the Lost Abbey on Saturday and had the Red Barn saison, tastes just like hot dogs.

Back