36-hour starter with lots of O2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonM

Reaction score
So my schedule freed up unexpectedly and I have some time to brew tomorrow night. I'm doing Yooper's hoppy American Amber, which should have an OG of 1.076ish.
I couldn't do my usual couple-day-long starter, so my starter will be going for maybe 32-36 hours by the time I pitch for real. No time to crash and decant it, so I figure I'll just decant anyway and pitch. I know that'll reduce the amount of yeast available so, if I give the beer a good dose of pure O2 and yeast nutrient, I should be okay, right?

Oh, and my yeast is Denny's Fav. and I gave the starter a blast of O2 as well. Thanks and cheers, all!

Sounds like plenty of time to me--then again I have a stirplate. I like to pitch my ale yeast starters at high krausen which is typically 12-18 hours on the plate. If you can give it regular shots of O2 I can't imagine why you wouldn't have enough time--but you might not be able to decant and pitch. You might have to pitch the whole starter.

Oops - I should have mentioned this is a 3 gallon batch. Mr. Malty recommended a 1L starter or 1.4 packs of liquid yeast. Thanks!

Oops - I should have mentioned this is a 3 gallon batch. Mr. Malty recommended a 1L starter or 1.4 packs of liquid yeast. Thanks!

I think Mr. Malty knows what he's talking about--do the small starter and pitch it at high krausen.

Back