What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
Will have completed my schooling in Industrial Electronics and PLC Automation this spring.

Not technically an Engineer...

Chemical Engineer Here. I work in the family business as a Lead Systems Engineer. Our specialty is Process Automation - AB PLCs and HMIs, Wonderware, Opto 22, DeltaV and a whole bunch of other stuff. We work mostly in the Food, Pharmaceuticals, Chemicals and the Beer industry.

I have wild and crazy ideas of putting in a fully automated home brewing system, including a batching engine and a CIP kitchen! I am a huge Controls Dork!!!!!

MSEE here

I design automated production equipment and parts of it (mainly PC boards and other electronics).

There is a lot of stuff I do at work that makes it into my brewery, and vice versa...

Nuclear health physicist, but my formal education is a BS in molecular/cellular biology.

So no, not an engineer. :)

Bklmt2000

BS and MS of Mechanical Engineering here.

Bachelor degrees in engineering have accounted for between 5% and 11% of all bachelor degrees awarded since about the 50s. Plus, not all users of this forum have a bachelor degree (I assume). So yes, it seems we have a very disproportionate amount of engineers here!

Fastener Engineer. My job is to come up with new and better ways to screw.....drum roll please... I actually do invent new screw designs (I'm one of the people responsible for Torx and Torx Plus).

Print sales, enrolling in an MBA program... Feeling a bit out of place here:)

I've had plenty of discussions with people who argue the merits of brewing as an art vs. brewing as a science. Frankly, the only difference as far as I can tell is that those of us who brew as an art have a hard time recreating the same beer twice. Go figure. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

Truth be told, I enjoy the results either way.

Insurance adjuster. I inspect wrecked cars all day. I'm always labeled as the bad guy, so I enjoy a strong beer after a long day.

Non-Engineer.
I can't believe how many intelligent people are on this forum. Joke edited.

Orthopedic Technician
I work with a bunch of Orthopedic Surgeons and mostly cast up broken bones all day. Brewing for me, is a good release from a stressful day.

Camping57 said:
Fastener Engineer. My job is to come up with new and better ways to screw.....drum roll please... I actually do invent new screw designs (I'm one of the people responsible for Torx and Torx Plus).

The nice thing about Torx heads is if you strip them out, they then take an Allen wrench :cross:

Pest control service manager. But have 90 hours of EE before coming home to run family business.

I;m a high scholl chemistry teacher who recently found out that I have terminal cancer. My wife wants me to try chemo, so in order to pay the bills for that I started a meth lab with one of my loser former students. But, because I don't actually do meth myself, and in order to quench my thirst while cooking meth, I also got into cooking beer. Beer is MUCH easier. I so like making my beer with a blue tinge though. That way, when I sell it to wash down the meth, everyone knows that blue beer is my creation.

Totally kidding of course. I don't have cancer.

I'm a finance guy with an economics degree. I figure cooking the economy is too hard, so now I just cook beer.

teaser452 said:
I;m a high scholl chemistry teacher who recently found out that I have terminal cancer. My wife wants me to try chemo, so in order to pay the bills for that I started a meth lab with one of my loser former students. But, because I don't actually do meth myself, and in order to quench my thirst while cooking meth, I also got into cooking beer. Beer is MUCH easier. I so like making my beer with a blue tinge though. That way, when I sell it to wash down the meth, everyone knows that blue beer is my creation.

I'm a finance guy with an economics degree. I figure cooking the economy is too hard, so now I just cook beer.

That reminds me, I gotta catch up on that show. Love that Hank is a homebrewer

teaser452 said:

Karma.

teaser452 said:
cooking meth can cause your house to explode.

I'm quite certain not even the noobiest of newbies has exploded their house cooking beer! :)

Just wait... the hobby is taking off, and there are some real idiots out there ;)

I'm a licensed journeyman electrician that is making a career change. I am now an emergency department tech., EMT,and a volunteer firefighter that is trying to break in to the fire service. So I had to vote non-engineer...but I do love the DIY aspect as well as the science of brewing.

Latest posts

Back