Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two 6 lb butts and 3 pork hocks in the smoker now. Italian sausages will go in with 3 hours left on the smoke. We eat at 6ish but ive been up since 5am lol.

This is about 1/2 of the 5 lbs, and some dove I killed.

image-3160053037.jpg

lschiavo said:
Looks nice. What temp do you shoot for? Dove...never had that. Is it dark meat like duck or woodcock?

Pretty much all birds that fly are dark meat. It has to due with the vascularity of the muscle tissue. I would guess with something that small you would really put the heat on it for a very short period of time.

My smoking & grilling days are over till we get some rain here in Texas.

I'm not taking any chances after last week. I heard the Bastrop fire was started by a BBQ pit.

I put dove on at 200, for about 1.5 hours or until fully cooked, and the jerky at the same temp for about 3 to 4 hours. Yes the dove is a dark meat like duck, if you or your family doesn't like the game flavor just soak it in milk for 24 hours in the fridge. This method also helps with deer, and if you use a smoke like mesquite or hickory that will help cover it also. I love the game flavor of deer and other dark meated critters.

Azurecybe said:
Dove season started sept 2 in iowa. 15 bird limit i believe

Grouse starts here on Thursday. That's what I usually go after. I'll have to check if there is a dove season here. We have mourning doves all around the house. Is that the same critter?

There are a couple types of dove around Oklahoma, there is the mourning dove, and a European dove which is a sandy color with a black ring around it's neck. The European dove is about twice the size of the mourning dove and twice as stupid, no camo required for them.

Well, no dove hunting for me:

A small game license entitles you to hunt rabbit, hare, squirrel (fox and gray), pheasant, ruffed grouse, sharp-tailed grouse, woodcock (HIP endorsement required), quail, crow, coyote (applies to Michigan residents only) and waterfowl (with a federal waterfowl stamp and Michigan waterfowl hunting license, if age 16 or older) during the open season. Opossum, porcupine, weasel, red squirrel, skunk, ground squirrel and woodchuck also may be taken year-round with a valid hunting license. No license is required for a resident, resident's spouse or resident's children to hunt small game on the enclosed farmlands where they live, except a federal waterfowl stamp and state waterfowl license are required to hunt waterfowl.

There are some other options though...skunk or crow...anyone ever smoked those?

Moose season started here on part of the island, and the rest of the island will open in Oct. the same time as rabbit, grouse, partridge and other small game inclucing Coyote.
I won't get a licience this year, or in fact, for the next couple of years due to the areas I apply for being applied for the most.
But moose I usually always have. In fact, I have a feed of it frying on the stove now along with some new onions.
What better way to finish off a keg of Helles.

I have had smoked skunk and coyote, it wasn't that bad. I really don't like to eat predators, IMO the meat is not as good as an herbivore.

Just finished another 3 lbs of deer jerky, that will last a couple days in my house.

Tossing on a couple butts around midnight tonight probably and then some ABTs and/or fatty tomorrow.

Well apparently I bought boneless butts at costco yesterday. Not too happy about that, but they have been on since midnight and have been in the stall now for a few hours.

I still have to run out because I wasn't thinking while at costco and don't have any buns or stuff for slaw.

did 9 racks of baby Back Ribs in the new smoker I built worked out well need to make a small adjustment on the fire box but this will cook more than twice as much as my old smoker :ban:

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

I put 2 big butts on the smoker at midnight Friday for Oktoberfest, then at 5 Saturday morning I added 2 big roasting chickens. They came off the smoker at 1:00 PM and were perfect. I was too busy to take pics. A friend also brought a brisket and another brought ribs.

I'm having my Oktoberfest Party this weekend on the Menu is:
Spiesbratten (Pork Loin stuffed with Onion and Apples wrapped in Bacon)
Oktoberfest Brats, Bavarian Brats, Nurenburg Brats, Bacon Knockwurst with
Sourkraut, Spetzel, Potato Pancakes, Apple Strudel with Ice Cream and of course
my Oktoberfest Homebrew. I will post Pics on Sat or Sunday

Ive been using my electric smoker lots latley monday did a whole chicken with jerk sauce, tuesday i did ribs and yesterday i did chicken breasts stuffed with smocked gouda cheese wrapped in bacon, Tomorrow im gonna smoke a rump roast and stuffed jalepenos and sunday im smoking a turkey for thanksgiving.

Smoked a couple of turkey breast tenderloins Sunday for my lunches this week. Came out so good (eating a turkey sandwich right now) that I may do it again this Sunday!

I'm having my Oktoberfest Party this weekend on the Menu is:
Spiesbratten (Pork Loin stuffed with Onion and Apples wrapped in Bacon)
Oktoberfest Brats, Bavarian Brats, Nurenburg Brats, Bacon Knockwurst with
Sourkraut, Spetzel, Potato Pancakes, Apple Strudel with Ice Cream and of course
my Oktoberfest Homebrew. I will post Pics on Sat or Sunday

that sounds like an amazing lineup!

i actully just bought a new smoker yesterday :) i am going to season it tonight and first smoke sunday. im doing a turkey and maybe ribs or maybe a brisket depends what i find for sales at the market

IMAG0307.jpg

Got a pork butt, 2 racks of ribs and whole chicken going down tomorrow. Gonna eat leftovers and brew up a beer on Sunday.

I see a good weekend on the way.

Did my Oktoberfest and everything turned out awesome here is the Spiesbratten and the brats in the smoker

20111008_4.jpg

20111008_5.jpg

20111008_6.jpg

and here is the brats about to come out of the smoker and all the meat just before everyone skarffed it up

20111008_7.jpg

20111008_8.jpg

Thanks it turned out great, you will have to come next year dfess1 your not too far from hatboro are you :mug:

no, i'm not. I really should change my location to Flourtown. :D

Headed to the Temple game this weekend? I'll be down there with the smoker!

no, i'm not. I really should change my location to Flourtown. :D

Headed to the Temple game this weekend? I'll be down there with the smoker!

have a great time, I'm not that moble with my BBQ yet. Not sure whats going on for next weekend except got to keg a Blue Moon Clone, start 5 gal of a Raspberry Pear lambic and brew another batch of my Kensington Kreme Ale. So that will take up one of my days off, might do something easy on the grill or smoker the other day.

Back