Placement of a RIMS tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutch101st

Reaction score
I am ready to mount the RIMS tube on my brewstand...which way is going to be the most efficeint?

Horizontal?

Vertical?

I am ready to mount the RIMS tube on my brewstand...which way is going to be the most efficeint?

Horizontal?

Vertical?

Well, it needs to fill so as to remove all of the air and it needs to drain so it doesn't grow anything.

I think I'm going to mount my on a diagonal.

PICT3944.jpg

I used a cross instead of a tee on the bottom and installed a valve so i can dump the contents. Otherwise I guess I could have put disconnects on the input and output sides, but this will drain better.

I don't have the luxury of installing a drain...I have a one piece tube that I purchased from Brewer's Hardware (nice piece too!). I am thinking of doing it vertical and having it able to be removed from the brackets of which it will be mounted on.

Well, after a lot of thinking and plannning, this is what I can up with:

RIMSMOUNT3.jpg

RIMSMount1.jpg

RIMSMOUNT2.jpg

I still have the wireing to finish, get the rest of the fitting in place, then test. I am about 50% done with my .5 upgrade (will be brewery 2.5...3.0 would be a complete overhaul as I did in September)

That looks like the same tube I have. I mounted mine vertically first with the element on bottom like yours. However, I found that my element worked better with the tube mounted horizontally. I currently have my temp probe on the output of the MT and I think I may move it to the RIMS tube or at least experiment:
DSC_0074.jpg

Well, got my parts from Bargain Fittings (ALWAYS a good experience with them!!) and I think I am hooked/sold/enamoured with CamLocks...but I digress...

I have got the RIMS tube even closer to being ready for a full on water test...just awaiting the low density heater element. Got the old HEX coil from my old RIMS removed and the holes plugged. I got everything teflon taped up and ready (except the temp probe)...the element should be here tomorrow and will get it mounted and then will do a water test- and if that goes well, then off we go with brewing with the RIMS tube in full production!!

ALL HAIL THE RETRO ATOMIC ROBOT BREWERY.

Pics of today's work...

Brewery251.jpg

Brewery252.jpg

Brewery253.jpg

Back