Coffee/Tea/Chocolate Infused Beers may suffer under new regulations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eugh.. If it makes you sick... don't drink it. What ever happened to good old fashioned boycotts and consumer education campaigns?

Came here to post the exact same story.

New York is heading full steam ahead to becoming a Nanny State.

The band piss me off for the reason they are bein banned

Here's a quote from my local news
"its like consuming 4 beers and several cups of coffee - all in one can"

What about a half pint of coffee infused vodka or brandy. Isn't that like chugging multiple beers and coffee yet noine seems to think that's wrong...it pisses me off how lobbyist can swing it so that two things thy are identical are seemed different

What about a half pint of coffee infused vodka or brandy. Isn't that like chugging multiple beers and coffee yet noine seems to think that's wrong...it pisses me off how lobbyist can swing it so that two things thy are identical are seemed different

Apples and oranges, though. Two products with two different audiences. Whereas an infused distilled liquor is intended at a certain audience, these sort of drinks are targeted at people who want to get messed up as fast as possible - and they tend to be younger people that are barely of age, if they are at all. Don't believe that? Just look at the people that are being interviewed on the news about this. They are all people that I would barely trust to bag my groceries, even less make responsible adult decisions. (Jeebus - that makes me sounds older than my years. ;))

Infused distilled alcohol, on the other hand, tends to have a more mature audience. Sure, there are exceptions to both groups, but not as many as some would be led to believe.

I guess the best way to put it - when you drink, is it about the journey or the destination? People with more refined tastes, such as homebrewers, tend to care more about the journey. College kids, on the other hand will tend to want to get to the destination (drunk) as fast as possible. Not to say that there aren't responsible younger legal-aged homebrewers here on HBT. However, any being honest with him/herselve will be able to understand that they likely are not brewing as a means to get drunk, but rather that they enjoy the quality of the product.

:mug:

Common sense would tell you that only beverages marketed as energy drinks containing alcohol would be affected. The article seems to indicate that regulators will not pursue drinks such as a coffee stout. But vaguely written laws and an utter lack of common sense among law writing and regulating bodies leaves me skeptical.

Back