Cleaning copper pipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2nd Street Brewery

Reaction score
Ok, while I was diggng around to see if I had any left over 1/2 copper to make the manifold for my soon to be mash tun I came across about 20-30ft of 1/2 inch copper flex pipe from when I ran new piipe upstairs to my bathroom. It would be pretty good to make an immersion chiller except for the fact it has gotten green in a few spots from sitting in the basement for a few years. Anybody had any luck with cleaning copper pipe to be able to reuse it? I would hate to consider this junk but I don't want to use it and have it ruin my beer. Thanks.

Clean it with some white vinegar. Make a paste out of it with some flour and smear it on. Let it sit for a few minutes and then wash it off.

A little diluted muratic acid will make it penny bright in one wipe. Wear gloves and flush with plenty of water after.

They're all messing with you, that copper is trash. Tell you what, I'll be by later on this evening to pick it up and bring it to the trash for you.

Incidentally, GODDAMN is copper friggin' expensive.

Back