Partial Mash recipe for Wheat Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syd138

Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea for this?

Im looking for something that resembles Unibroue- Chambly Noire..

3.3lbs of Wheat Malt Extract..
3lbs of Wheat Malt
2lbs of Chocolate Malt?
.75 tettnanger hops

Hey Syd whats up- two pounds is a bit much for five gallons. Usually a pound of roasted malts is enough. You will need more bittering hops for a stout also. I happen to love making wheat stouts and can post a nice partial mash when I get home. You'd need about an ounce of 10% bitterers, some pale malt for your mash, with equal wheat, and maybe three lbs of dry lite extract. Flavor and aroma hops as you please. Can post a legit recipe when I get home.

it's not really a stout without some roasted barley, but i think it would be great.

a TRUE dunkelweizen would only have 4-6 ounces of chocolate malt.

i would go with something like this:

3.3 lbs of Wheat Malt Extract
3 lbs of Wheat Malt
2 lbs of Munich Malt
however much chocolate you'd like (i definitely wouldn't go over a pound)
0.75 oz tettnanger hops 60 min (bittering ONLY)

if you're truly going for a stout, i would use 0.75 lb roasted barley and 0.5 lb chocolate malt.

what yeast are you using? i would recommend the WLP380 for dunkelweizen. for stout, something clean, like US-05 or WLP001.

DeathBrewer.. I took your advice. I guess it is more of a Dunkle Weissen. The guy at my HBS helped me out. Check it out:

3.3 lbs Wheat Malt Extract
3 lbs Wheat Malt
2 lbs Munich Malt
.25 Crystal Malt 120L
1 oz Spalt Hop Pellets
1 oz Argentine Cascade Hop Pellets
WLP380 Hefeweissen yeast

Back