can you reuse metal bottle caps if you don't crease/bend them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovebeer

Reaction score
they sell used uncreased bottle caps for glass bottles on ebay for a lot cheaper than new ones. so can you use these for bottling over and over if you don't crease them? guess it shouldn't make a difference if the cap hasn't been bent right?

Why on earth would you risk a batch of beer - which probably cost at least $40 (for extract), plus hours of time and lots of energy - to save literally pennies per batch on USED BOTTLE CAPS?

They are so cheap at my LHBS that they actually sell them by the pound. When you order a kit from AHS they give them to you free.

I've actually heard(on this forum) of a guy getting bad batches/no carb from using caps that were just too old and therefore would not seal properly.

Bottling with used caps seems insane in the membrane to me.

Think of the amount of extra time it would take to carefully open bottles, and more importantly, teach all of your guests to do the same, so as not to bend the caps. How much is your time worth? Personally, since bottlecaps run in the neighborhood of a penny or two each, it REALLY does not seem worth it for the savings of a buck or less on a batch, especially given the increased risk of contamination from caps that have a dried film of beer on them which you need to make sure gets thoroughly cleaned in addition to sanitizing.

Also, think about it this way: how much does one bottle of your beer cost you? Probably somewhere between 40 cents and a buck... about the same as you save by reusing caps for an entire batch. If you lose ONE beer from a batch due to contamination from your old bottlecaps, it pretty much negates the 'cost savings' of reusing the caps. Is it worth that risk?

wow i didn't know they were that cheap. new ones are really expensive on ebay. like 200 can be up to $20, but the new ones they sell are all brand name caps. so many people sell used caps and say they can be used for brewing i just assumed u could. at least after soaking them in some star-san first. can someone give me a site where i can get caps that cheap? dont know where any brewing stores are around here.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/

http://www.northernbrewer.com/

3lbs of caps on AHB was like $10, check either one of these sites, I'm sure that NB is similiarly priced. I think the ones you see on ebay are some sort of specialty reproductions or something? All you need are cheapo gold caps. Some people like to use the oxygen absorbing kind, but I don't have any experience with them.

It would be impossible to remove a cap from a bottle in good enough condition to be able to reuse it effectively.

Seems silly to me anyway.

:drunk:

olllllo said:
You're telling me that there isn't a LHBS in the greater Providence area?

C'mon!
how in the hell did you know i live in providence??

the_bird said:
Why on earth would you risk a batch of beer - which probably cost at least $40 (for extract), plus hours of time and lots of energy - to save literally pennies per batch on USED BOTTLE CAPS?

+1 caps are so cheap

Back