Back sweetening with fruit juices?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sledman765

Reaction score
I've been making wine with kits for the last two years and would like to get away from the kits and start making my own creations. The question I have is about back sweetening base wines with fruit juices. I recently made a blackberry merlot where I used a merlot kit with a blackberry base and fermented them together then back sweetened with table sugar. I was tasty but not as flavorful as a blackberry merlot kit that I used prior that included an flavor pack that was added after fermentation. Can anyone provide me with suggestions about back sweetening with fruit juices? Thanks.

I've been making wine with kits for the last two years and would like to get away from the kits and start making my own creations. The question I have is about back sweetening base wines with fruit juices. I recently made a blackberry merlot where I used a merlot kit with a blackberry base and fermented them together then back sweetened with table sugar. I was tasty but not as flavorful as a blackberry merlot kit that I used prior that included an flavor pack that was added after fermentation. Can anyone provide me with suggestions about back sweetening with fruit juices? Thanks.

Sure. Just stabilize the finished wine with sorbate and campden, and then sweeten to taste with fruit concentrate or juice or sugar or honey or whatever you want.

Once the wine is finished and completely clear, and without any lees on the bottom, it can be racked onto a solution of dissolved campden tablets and sorbate. Normally, the amount is 1 crushed campden tablet and 1/2 teaspoon of sorbate per gallon of wine. Let that sit a day or more, and then sweeten to taste. Let that sit at least a few days under airlock to ensure fermentation doesn't restart, and then bottle.

Back