Any float fisherman out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradsul

Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My brother has been a float fisherman for years and he finally convinced me to give up my beloved 8wt flyrod and try float fishing for steelhead.

I had a heck of a time getting used to the casting but playing a fish on that noodle of a float rod was a ton of fun! He apparently has ordered me a 13' 2pc rod and a Raven float reel for Christmas so I'm looking forward to getting back out again after Christmas!

Anybody else enjoy this style of fishing? Any tips for a beginner?

not much of a true flyguy myself. I do however do a lot of drift fishing for steelies annd salmon here. mostly with spawn flies or egg sucking leeches. nothin better than a chromer on the end of a custom noodle rod.:rockin:

I have to admit I was really surprised at the difference in fighting on the noodle rod. My 8wt has served me well for 7 years now and is definitely getting whippy but it's nothing like that! I got a 7lbs brown and it basically doubled the rod over! It's amazing how well it protected the light tippet too, I was worried about it breaking off and my brother was just telling me to lean into it even more.

Yup, been floating all my life with the father. Oddly enough, i was looking into getting into fly fishing this year...

I wish I could get drag free drifts like that when fly fishing, that's one of the tough parts of the fly line, lots and lots of mending means lots of time the fly isn't being natural. I had a lot of fun with the float rod but a lot of that may have been playing with the casting and a free spinning reel. I had to undo a lot of knots that day. :D

I think next time I go out instead of having some trout roe in a sack I may go with a large stonefly or something.

Back