Kegerator - External CO2 Line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JollyLlama

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the homebrewing boards and I was hoping someone could help me with a quick kegerator question. I picked up a Danby DKC146SLDB from Costco over the weekend and I just got around to setting it up yesterday. Most of the installation went well, but there is a bit of space around the hole where the CO2 line goes from the external tank into the refrigerated portion of the unit.

It seems like this could waste quite a bit of energy, as well as presenting issues with regulating the keg temperatures. I was debating buying a bit of putty and insulating tape to put around this area, but I was curious if anyone else has encountered this issue. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
:mug:

I took a look at the specs, and man, they really made that thing TIGHT! So your co2 tank is on the back of the fridge and the line feeds through to the coupler. And you have a larger than necessary hole to fill? Is it the factory condition?

Either way, I think you should fill the hole with some insulation -- anything would work, batt insulation, putty, spray foam, chewing gum...whatever! Then you could tape over it if you wanted, but the main thing is just to keep the nice cool air inside from leaking to the outside. It's more of an efficiency issue than one which will affect your keg temp or beer pour. Big picture I wouldn't worry too much about it...

Congratulations on your purchase! Before you know it, you'll want to start home brewing if you haven't already. Then you'll need a double tap head. Then...it goes on and on : )

Cheers!

Yep, your description of the unit is spot on. It's is brand new and I already called the manufacturer to determine if I was missing any parts. Beyond the directions being pretty terrible, I have all the parts and everything else seems to be in working order. I can't complain too much though, I got the entire unit for $360 along with the Costco warranty.

Since I don't want the hose to be stuck in the position permanently, I need to find something that will allow me to make adjustments. I think I'm just going to stop by Home Depot and see if there are any solid options that wouldn't look terrible.

I picked it up with the intention of getting into home brewing at some point in the near future, so I'm pretty excited to jump into it. I just started reading How to Brew by John Palmer and browsing the boards a bit. Thanks again for all of your help and if anyone has any ideas for insulating the hole I'd be more than happy to hear them.

Thanks!

Back