Northern's Black IPA kit...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CircusHooker

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this one? I'm considering doing it for my second batch and wonder if it has turned out well for anyone else. I LOVE Mountain Standard but I don't hold any illusions I can get there from a kit :)

thanks!

Kate

Yes, while i didnt brew it, my friend did and i had a bunch of his.

I was VERY impressed with it. Nice fruity notes from the hops. would definitely recommend

Just opened my first one after a week in the bottles. Yes, it is green and not fully carbed, bit so far it seems awesome. I added an extra ounce of centennial at 5 minutes and an extra ounce of cascade for dry hopping and it has great aroma and flavor. Mine came out with a little coffee taste to it and almost has a stout like roast flavor to it. I assume that will diminish over time as it ages a little bit. I followed the rest of the instructions except for the hop additions listed above.

I think this one may be my best brew so far! Though I love black IPAs!

Just opened my first one after a week in the bottles. Yes, it is green and not fully carbed, bit so far it seems awesome. I added an extra ounce of centennial at 5 minutes and an extra ounce of cascade for dry hopping and it has great aroma and flavor. Mine came out with a little coffee taste to it and almost has a stout like roast flavor to it. I assume that will diminish over time as it ages a little bit. I followed the rest of the instructions except for the hop additions listed above.

I think this one may be my best brew so far! Though I love black IPAs!

I brewed this beer on 6/26/11 and started drinking it on 8/7/11. I also noted the coffee and roasted malt in my tasting notes. A bit too strong for my liking but not bad by any means. I cellered a 6 pk of this and just had one last week. The coffee and roast profile was still very prevalent but I do think its mellowed.

OP, You might want to consider making a yeast starter. My notes say my OG was 1.070 so its a good sized beer. You will like it if you like the style.

Gravity is pretty high on this one if I remember correctly. Make sure to pitch the appropriate amount of yeast. If liquid yeast that means more than one package or a starter. Since this is your second brew I'll say don't underestimate the importance of enough yeast. Check the calculator below.

http://www.yeastcalc.com/

I actually ended up doing a Saison for my second brew, this was my third. I did do a starter and I have airlock activity this morning. Everything went smoothly!

Brewed it and was disappointed. Tossed 1/4 of the batch down the drain because I got bored with it. Just not hoppy enough for my liking. I am enjoying their Dead Ringer kit, I've almost kicked my 5gallon keg in 2 weeks.

Brewed it and was disappointed. Tossed 1/4 of the batch down the drain because I got bored with it. Just not hoppy enough for my liking. I am enjoying their Dead Ringer kit, I've almost kicked my 5gallon keg in 2 weeks.

If it was kegged you couldn't have just tried dry hopping it. But true, this kit is good, but not super hoppy.

Latest posts

Back