mislocated thermometer hole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucfanmike

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok didn't think this through before i did it.

I recently started mashing in a keggle. I use a full false bottom and recirculate with a march pump if i need to fire for temp maintenance. I batch spare for now since i only have one pump. I have been slowly adding parts to my system as i go. I added a themometer recently with one of the no weld kits from bargainfittings. I installed it too high. Its only under my grain bed when Im mashing for a 10 gallon bash. So i need to relocate the thermometer lower and find another use for this hole. I still need to rig a return for the recirculation as i was just going over the top with the hose. Now, how to use this hole that is below the grain bed some of the time as a return. I guess my plan would be to add another bulkhead and valve there. Its the inside that im wondering. How about a elbow with a section of silicone hose and a way to diffuse it so im not channeling the grain bed. The silicone tubing could also allow an easy way to adjust it when im mashing smaller or larger batches. Will this work?

sooo.. you're just looking to plug that extra hole i'm guessing? see if you can find a SS bolt? they have plug kits for the bulkheads

I'm guessing it's going to be more trouble than it's worth to try and recirculate through a port below grain level. I'd just plug it for now and add your recirc port at the top if hooking the hose over the edge isn't what you want. You can always pick up a second thermometer for 10-gallon batches to make sure your heat is staying reasonably consistent throughout your grain bed while recirculating.

Well since you are going to put a recirculation port anyways I say use it where it is for a batch and slightly point the output upwards and see how it does. You could always attach a piece of high temp silicone hose and route it above the grain bed as well. If it doesnt work how you like it add another thermometer like suggested above and relocate your input hole.

I made this custom fitting to fit through what used to be the thermometer port on my BK:

4701547913_7686efe2cf_z.jpg

I see no reason why it would not work on your MT as a return port. You would only need to attach a riser pipe on the inside to deliver the wort to the top of the grain bed. I use it to circulate wort through my cfc and back to the kettle when chilling. I simply close the valve when nothing is attached. Basically, it's just a 1/2" sweat x npt adapater drilled out so the pipe can pass all the way through.

You would definitely want to be able to height adjust. How will you stop wort from pouring out when the hose isn't connected?

I assumed he would know to use a ball valve. But I should have been more clear.

Well, I say that because most recirc ports I've seen, including my own, is up high enough that it doesn't need a valve. It usually has to drop down from that location. You could accomplish the same thing by sharply going up with a piece of tubing on the inside.

thanks for all the replies, been out camping for the weekend so catching up now. I think ill go with the plan for recirculating through it. Ill through a ball valve on to make sure i never lose anything through it. Ill rig the inside to make it adjustable for different sized batches.

Thanks

Back