Brew Masters on Discovery w/ Sam Calagione

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why does a difference in opinion have to be labeled as hate? Sounds to me like some people hate opinion. Or were you just expressing a different opinion yourself?

chilort, the fact that people have a difference of opinion doesnt bother me.. its how the difference of opinion is presented that can make it abrasive or not.

"Well the guys beer sucks, so he pretty much has nothing going for him."

is a good example of an abrasive difference of opinion.. and more to the point, has nothing to do with the thread topic:off:.

Thats at least my objection... I was hoping this would be a thread where people talked about the show, asked questions, etc., but always with a positive spin, since, afterall, this is a show about beer, and yes, I do think we should be excited, or, at the very least, respectful.

There were plenty of "I didnt like the show" posts which didnt result in anyone becomming riled up.. it was the "inflammatory" posts, that I think took it the next step and became gratuitous, that were deemed as being negative or hateful. Ok, so you didnt like it, is it appropriate to go on and on about how sam is pretentious, and his truck isnt really that old, but it supposed to look that old, and I dont like his beer, etc. again, :off:

oh, and how about giving it a few more episodes before we condemn the entire show... or just dont watch.

thats all. Ill ignore these posts from here on out... I think thats the best way to handle them.

Hi HItransplant. With the thousands of members here, its not surprising that there are some folks who are internet jackasses. Sometimes its just an occasional post, sometimes its consistent. There are only two who I've added to the 'ignore' list - they've been so outrageous I'm just not interested in reading their posts.

Back to our original programming . . . .

I don't anticipate being able to watch the shows on Sunday nights, haven't gone the DVR route, so am grateful for the miracle of the interwebz. I sat and watched the first episode with my son and he was cracking up - he loved it.

I've not seen any promos this week - I assume its on again this Sunday?

you mean that "American Choppers" is only about the Tuttles and not other American builders of choppers? how boring...

LOL

This type of TV just isn't for everyone, to each his/her own... I'm just surprised that there are so many folks here that are this negative about a show bringing their hobby into the light of day...

I didn't think the show was the best thing on TV, but it certainly was better than much of the drivel on these days...

It was no "Swamp People"...
but it also wasn't "The Bachelorette" LOL

I watched my first episode last night - Dogfish Head brewing the Miles Davis commemorative Bitches Brew. As was mentioned, it wasn't the best thing on TV buttt.... it did do a good job of showing a bit about how beer is brewed and that's a good thing. The more I introduce my friends/family to craft beers (and of course my homebrew) the more they are interested in how its made and what other kinds are out there.

To me, more interest = more beers out there and more room for other craft brewers :D

Watched the first episode (Bitches Brew) last night. It was an alright show; I enjoyed it. My dad and papa (who aren't into brewing or craft beer) thought it was a real interesting show as well.

I finally had time to watch it off the DVR. it was pretty decent. though I gotta say Sam dropped a few points in my book with the whole hip hop group thing. Seriously. why the hell is everyone and their mother suddenly a wanna be hip hop artist? and what does any of that have to do with Beer?

On another note, while at the local beer emporium looking for a bottle of bitches brew (which they did not have) I picked up a bottle of Midas Touch (the ancient recipe beer) to enjoy with my turkey day dinner. Very interesting, though tasted more like a wine to me from the grapes

why the hell is everyone and their mother suddenly a wanna be hip hop artist? and what does any of that have to do with Beer?

What kind of crowd are you hanging out with? I know no one who wants to be a hip hop artist! ;)

And it has to do with beer because they are hip hop songs that remind you to check your specific gravity haha

What kind of crowd are you hanging out with? I know no one who wants to be a hip hop artist! ;)

And it has to do with beer because they are hip hop songs that remind you to check your specific gravity haha

...and to pinch ya pennies so you can pass the savings on to the consumer! :D

Seriously, .... it's about entertainment. Do you folks that are slamming the rap really believe that Sam wants to be a rap artist?:confused:

I think Sam is genuine. Yea, the pickup, although his, is really a prop. But I think he is a high-energy guy that just wants to drum up some excitement in the craft-brew and home-brew world, as well as introduce the BMC majority to our little world of better beer.

I didn't like the hip-hop stuff but, hey, he's just having a frigging good time. More power to him - he's on top of the world and I'd love to be in his shoes right now.

Looking forward to the chicha episode and the collaboration brew with Epic.

I liked the show. Having met Sam a couple times in various places, he's pretty much exactly as he is on the show. Genuine and passionate about beer. I wasn't expecting this to be a big technical show, it's mainstream TV and the ratings would be low.

A co-worker yesterday asked me if I had heard of the show yet. He (late 20's liquor and mostly BMC drinker) said he watched it and thought it was very entertaining. Said he really liked Sam and the hip hop bit was hilarious. Was excited to TiVo the rest of the series... and then asked me some questions about some craft beers he should try.

and then asked me some questions about some craft beers he should try.

I hope he's at least tried some from Alaskan Brewing Co. already. I hope a lot of BMC drinkers are reaching out a bit after seeing the show. Maybe one of these days BMC won't have quite 95% of the market.

I enjoyed the first episode. I really liked seeing the behind scenes at their main brewery and daily mishaps that they have to handle. Watching them spill gallons of glue or lose a metal valve showed that even the professionals make mistakes. I think a lot of the negative reaction might be jealousy towards Sam and what he's accomplished but the message I get is that if he can do so can any of us with enough hard work.

he's on top of the world and I'd love to be in his shoes right now.

Gotta agree with you on that passedpawn! As much as I dislike Sam's hyperbole (how many times can you use the word quintessential in a single TV episode?) he's living the dream and reaping the benefits... :mug:

finally got to watching the first episode and now i can not wait for the next.

this is my senior year at SDSU and up until now i really struggled to find something i'm passionate enough about to make my living off. i mean, i love organic chemistry and biochem, but pure lab work is not my future. when i started brewing this year, it really sparked my interest.

here's to hoping that this show convinces the masses to start enjoying the massive amounts of microbreweries we have in the US, but doesn't encourage too many to start a brewery of their own :mug: (well, at least hold off until i have a good head start :p)

I read the first few pages of this thread....but not the last 47 or so. Some people were talking about going out and trying to find some Bitches Brew. Was anyone successful? We can't even find Dogfish Head here. Also, not knowing exactly when this show was filmed, it made me wonder if it would be too late to find it. If anyone did try it.....enlighten us. How was it?

Why so serious? I enjoy reading the hate posts on here. Especially the ones about the rap group. If that is Sams hobby then good for him. I enjoy hip hop and truly appreciate the effort that goes into making the rhymes and the timing with it. Go and try to rhyme about brewing. It's not as easy as it sounds, and then try to make it fit with music.

And dont we have a strange hobby? Its a wasteful time consuming process that can cost alot of money. Why dont we just go buy a 6 pack of beer we like instead of trying to make our own? Because we enjoy it thats why :)

Dont knock a guy for having the courage to do something he likes with millions of people watching him.

Dont knock a guy for having the courage to do something he likes with millions of people watching him.

Hell yeah, I like to be watched too :D

I still don't get the hate. The guy pretty much says "My beer isn't mainstream and you might not like it".

It's not like he is making a poor quality mainstream beer and then bragging about how it's the best thing out there.

Hell yeah, I like to be watched too :D

I still don't get the hate. The guy pretty much says "My beer isn't mainstream and you might not like it".

It's not like he is making a poor quality mainstream beer and then bragging about how it's the best thing out there.

thats actually something I really appreciate and respect about Sam. I am the same way with my brews. I like to make unusual and off the wall stuff. Just look at my signiture. Who else makes a green tea honey kolsch?

Yeah, a lotta hate, and its only been *one* episode!

If it is all about DF, then yeah its another American Choppers (Senior needs a baseball bat upside his empty head numerous times, and Jr. is a spoiled little whinny brat, though talented) But I know there is a producer stirring the s**t for 'better TV.'

Now if they hit many craft breweries, the bigger and smaller ones mixed well... But its *entertainment*, just like sports, sit-coms, or the news; its not anything important. Its for average folk, not home brewers as a reference/educational show. Its there to SELL COMMERCIALS.

thats actually something I really appreciate and respect about Sam. I am the same way with my brews. I like to make unusual and off the wall stuff. Just look at my signiture. Who else makes a green tea honey kolsch?

And how did your green tea honey kolsch turn out? Would you mind posting the recipe (if it turned out pretty good)?

It will be in the same timeslot on discovery for the entire run of the show.

I think they are moving the time slot to Mondays at 10:00 pm. I'm showing The next show at 10:00 Sunday. Then the 3rd episode will be Monday 11-29. The fourth show will be Monday 12-6 where it will compete with Pawn Stars. Hmmm thank you DVR:D

So can someone tell me about this "drama" that everyone is talking about but I didn't see at all? The only thing close to "drama" that I saw was Sam telling the head brewmaster that they had 5 weeks to make the beer, and the Belgian guy said he was "concerned with the timeline".

There are comparisons to OCC, but when I watch that moronic show I see Mr. Mustache get mad and slam a door so hard it breaks, and then his son getting mad too and throwing a wrench or something. I didn't see anything like that that here.

Maybe I'm missing the part where these shows are at all similar, besides the fact that the main people own businesses and have shows on Discovery?

The only thing I was disappointed about was the lack of Reinheitsgebot hate. I wanted to see Sam burn a copy of the law and throw the remains into a batch of Pangaea, dubbing it "Germany's contribution".

they keep showing the preview for tonights episode. Although I think the show is entertaining I'll pass on this one. something about watching people spitting into cups just doesn't apeal to me. gross

they keep showing the preview for tonights episode. Although I think the show is entertaining I'll pass on this one. something about watching people spitting into cups just doesn't apeal to me. gross

I won't be watching it during tonights airing if my GF is still awake. She has a very delicate stomach, and even describing the beer to here when DFH first came out with it made her want to hurl. So I'll be watching one of the streamlinks I'll be posting tomorrow in my link thread.

Just received an e-mail from Discovery. (I "may" have sent Discovery Canada an angry e-mail about advertising the shows premiere in Canada the whole last month even though the show was not running in Canada.)

Any who good news eh. Turns out it premiere's January 18th on Discovery Canada!

I won't be watching it during tonights airing if my GF is still awake. She has a very delicate stomach, and even describing the beer to here when DFH first came out with it made her want to hurl. So I'll be watching one of the streamlinks I'll be posting tomorrow in my link thread.

Sounds like your gf and my wife are the same, my wife as well told me that I could watch it when she went to work tommorow.

srsly? Is there not more than one room in your house/apartment?

It's hilarious how he gives high fives to his head brewer, who still feels really awkward because they never gave each other high fives before the show.

And how he drives that rusty, beat up pickup truck. Yah ok.

While I applaud his effort to go to Peru for this beer - it would've been pretty cool if he had come to Arizona to search out this, from the Apache Indians:

"First, they soaked the corn overnight in water. They dug a long trench and lined it with grass, placed the soaked corn in the trench, and covered it with another layer of grass. Sometimes they covered the hole with earth or a blanket. After sprinkling the corn with water morning and evening for ten days, during which it sprouted, they took it out, ground it with their grinding stones (mano and metate), and the boiled it for five hours. Finally, they strained off the liquid and set it aside. After about twenty-four hours, when it stopped bubbling, it was ready to drink." (From Geronimo by Angie Debo, p. 22)

I feel like they are leaving steps out of the whole chicha brewing process.

do they just chew, spit, cook, and then pour through the hay?

Hi HItransplant. .....

There are only two who I've added to the 'ignore' list - they've been so outrageous I'm just not interested in reading their posts.

hi Pappers... thanks for the tip. Ill keep the ignore option in mind.

hope youre enjoying tonights show.. I have been :D

Back