Confessions of a Hophead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbey

Reaction score
Okay, I will admit it.....my name is Gilbey and I AM A HOPHEAD!!!!

I love lots of bittering and aroma hops in nearly all my beers. Give me a cascade supercharged IPA and I am in heaven. Bittering I have no problem with. However, I am struggling to get a really strong amoratic/floral hop finish to my brews. I have finished with up to 3 ounces of cascades and still I am not getting the aroma I want. Any tips?????

Thanks!

Gilbey

Use 4 oz? ;) Honestly though that's all I can think of, aside from dry hopping, or use of a hopback system.

Sam75 said:
Focus your hop additions in the final 15min of the boil. Dry hop liberally. :)

Good info on the late hops addition for sure.

I am a giant hops freak, and love dry hopping as well. To me, if you are indeed a "Hophead" dry hopping is a must!

Cool, thanks....I dry hopped once and kinda forgot about it.

I will try focussing on later addition of MORE hops :D !!!

I am always concerned when I add hops with 10 minutes or less left in boil time, especially with plugs hops. I alway feel like the plug barely has time to break apart before the 10 minutes are up......is it just me?

Gilbey

Adding a lot (and I mean a lot) of hops at knockout or therabouts can lend a grassy or sorta spinach like taste to your brew... If you want that hop taste to hit your pallet like a bat I'd suggest dry hopping with an ounce or two of fuggles or cascade or whatever your like.

Back