Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a friend of mine's recipe, Chris Studach. He's also the one pictured on the bottle. In fact, we hung out a couple weeks ago at the Sasquatch Brewfest in Eugene with John Maier.

Obviously the folks at "Draft on Tap" magazine (May/June edition) feel the same way u do about that beer.

They gave it a pretty high Taste Review. A 92 out of a possible 100. :mug:

I ran across this last year somewhere.

Hazelnut Brown Porter

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

12-A Porter, Brown Porter

Min OG: 1.040 Max OG: 1.052
Min IBU: 18 Max IBU: 35
Min Clr: 20 Max Clr: 30 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.75
Anticipated OG: 1.059 Plato: 14.56
Anticipated SRM: 38.0
Anticipated IBU: 34.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
68.1 8.00 lbs. Crisp Maris Otter Britain 1.036 4
8.5 1.00 lbs. Munich Malt(dark) America 1.033 20
8.5 1.00 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
4.3 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
6.4 0.75 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
4.3 0.50 lbs. Black Patent Malt America 1.028 525

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 18.5 60 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 9.9 30 min.
2.00 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 6.5 1 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP002 English Ale

Grain Lbs: 11.75
Water Qts: 16.56 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 4.14 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.41 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 154 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 0

Notes
-----

25ml HazelNut Exrtract at keg.

4 oz unsweetened cocoa powder last 5 minute
s

That's a friend of mine's recipe, Chris Studach. He's also the one pictured on the bottle. In fact, we hung out a couple weeks ago at the Sasquatch Brewfest in Eugene with John Maier.

Hey, do you think I could pick his brain for a few hints on brewing a clone?

I haven't had that one for years but I remember really enjoying the hazelnutty flavor. I've thought about making the clone recipe in the 150 clones for some time now.

You didn't get any from the Party Source?? They always have a pretty good Rogue selection - I also love their Kell's Irish Lager.

I actually thought it was pretty good. It's not something that I would drink regularly, but it was a solid 'flavored' beer.

This is one of those beers where the warmer serving temperature really makes a big difference. Let one of these warm up and it is a real treat. I call this my desert beer.

I dislike hazelnut in any form, which is bummer as it is about the only nut tree that grows well around here.

Had a Rogue Shakespeare Stout last weekend at a fest that was totally off, normally it's great.

I've got a bomber in the fridge waiting to be opened tonight :D
I've only been able to find it at the Spec's near downtown Houston.

I checked 4 stores here and the only Rogue I found was a 6 pack of dead guy. It is looking like I will have to clone this one for sure.

I checked 4 stores here and the only Rogue I found was a 6 pack of dead guy. It is looking like I will have to clone this one for sure.

I could ship you one, or some. Maybe a beer swap if you want. The Rouge is kinda expensive though. I have a case of 22 oz hazelnut browns in my fridge. PM me if you want.

I'm looking at the latest issue of Zymurgy magazine and they posted the result of their best commercial beers in America reader's pole. Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar finished in a tie for 25th with 7 other beers!

You didn't get any from the Party Source?? They always have a pretty good Rogue selection - I also love their Kell's Irish Lager.

I would have but I discovered it during the last night of the conference and I didn't have time Sunday to go there. The Party Source and Jungle Jim's have such an awesome beer selection! I wish we had something like that here.

Rich,

I placed a call and the recipe that appeared in BYO is the official clone recipe from John. However, John mentioned that he can no longer get the hazelnut extract from Stearns and Lehman. He is now using a hazelnut extract from Northwestern Extract

Here is the recipe -

Hazelnut Brown Nectar Clone

8.25 lbs Great Western 2-row Pale Malt
9 oz. Hugh Baird Brown Malt
1.5 lbs Munich Malt
5.6 oz. Crystal Malt - 15L
1 lb Crystal Malt - 75L
5.6 oz. Crystal Malt - 120L
3.8 oz. Pale Chocolate Malt
.86 oz. Perle Hops @ 9% AA (60 min.)
.50 oz. Saaz Hops @ 3.5% AA (30 min.)
Wyeast 1056 or WL001

1/8 oz. Northwestern Extract Hazelnut Flavoring

Mash at 154 F for 60 min.

Add extract at kegging.

Enjoy! :mug:

EDIT - I just looked at the NW Extract site and I'm not sure you can buy small quantities from them at retail. Might want to check with your LHBS for a substitute hazelnut extract.

Rich,

EDIT - I just looked at the NW Extract site and I'm not sure you can buy small quantities from them at retail. Might want to check with your LHBS for a substitute hazelnut extract.

This is a stupid question, but if you take the extra sugars into consideration, would it be possible to use a hazelnut syrup, like Torani or one of those brands they have at coffee stands? I have orgeat (almond) at home to make authentic mai tais, and it tastes awesome - I use it in cherry pie and other things that could use some almond flavor. Especially if you add it after most of the fermentation is done... :confused:

(EDIT) - oops, I just searched and read about potassium sorbate in those syrups possibly affecting the yeast....

And you probably wouldn't want to use real hazelnuts either because of all the fat/oils messing with the beer - if oats can add unwanted fat to a beer I hate to think of what nuts can do!

Here is the recipe -

1.5 lbs Munich Malt
1 lb Crystal Malt - 75L
Wyeast 1056 or WL001

Add extract at kegging.

Well that one I had was way off. Thanks for this, now If I ever get around to it Ill put this on tap for a while.

It's all over the liquor stores around here. If you make it into UT any time soon then you can find it. Otherwise, I could drop a couple 22's in the mail for you.

Thanks Topia! I've sent them an E-mail to inquire if they sell retail.
I'll use that recipe and then play with the extract when it is kegged.

This is a stupid question, but if you take the extra sugars into consideration, would it be possible to use a hazelnut syrup, like Torani or one of those brands they have at coffee stands? I have orgeat (almond) at home to make authentic mai tais, and it tastes awesome - I use it in cherry pie and other things that could use some almond flavor. Especially if you add it after most of the fermentation is done... :confused:

(EDIT) - oops, I just searched and read about potassium sorbate in those syrups possibly affecting the yeast....

And you probably wouldn't want to use real hazelnuts either because of all the fat/oils messing with the beer - if oats can add unwanted fat to a beer I hate to think of what nuts can do!

You know, if you added hazelnut syrup at kegging it wouldn't matter except the syrup would make the beer sweeter. I wonder how much you would need?
I agree. Actual hazel nuts probably wouldn't work.

Originally posted by RichBrewer
Thanks Topia! I've sent them an E-mail to inquire if they sell retail.

If not, I think I can go on as Naked City Brewing and get some free samples. I could do that and send some to you. (as long as the sample size isn't a 55 gallon drum) ;)

Or, I'll see John in August. Maybe I can bum some off of him and send it to you.

Rich,

I placed a call and the recipe that appeared in BYO is the official clone recipe from John. However, John mentioned that he can no longer get the hazelnut extract from Stearns and Lehman. He is now using a hazelnut extract from Northwestern Extract

Here is the recipe -

1.5 lbs Munich Malt
1 lb Crystal Malt - 75L
Wyeast 1056 or WL001

Add extract at kegging.

I got my hazelnut extract at Whole Foods when I did my clone.

If not, I think I can go on as Naked City Brewing and get some free samples. I could do that and send some to you. (as long as the sample size isn't a 55 gallon drum) ;)

Or, I'll see John in August. Maybe I can bum some off of him and send it to you.

That would be great! Let us know what you find out. 55 gallons might be a tad bit of overkill but I'd take it! :mug:

How about this? Would this brand work? Is all extract basically the same or are some better than others?

Yeah Rich, I'd gladly mail you some too. It's the least I could do for the beer glasses that you snagged us the other night ;)

Originally posted by RichBrewer
How about this? Would this brand work? Is all extract basically the same or are some better than others?

No reason that shouldn't work. I think the only difference in extracts is in whether they are natural or artificially flavored. This one looks like a quality natural flavored hazelnut extract.

Yeah Rich, I'd gladly mail you some too. It's the least I could do for the beer glasses that you snagged us the other night ;)
Oh no worries! I snagged extra glasses for that very purpose. I'm glad I was able to give them to you guys!

No reason that shouldn't work. I think the only difference in extracts is in whether they are natural or artificially flavored. This one looks like a quality natural flavored hazelnut extract.

Well I'll keep them in mind.

You are correct. They E-mailed me today and they only sell large quantities to businesses. I'm not worried though. I might just order some from Faerie's Finest. I'm thinking about brewing this one in a week and a half. I figure I don't need the extract until I keg it so no hurry.

Thanks for the help Brewtopia!!!:mug:

OMG How did I miss this thread?!?!

Hazelnut Brown is *the* beer that turned me on to Rogue. LOVE it like crazy.

You can bet I'll be trying this clone ASAP!!!!!!! Thanks very much Rich, for bringing it up, and Brewtopia, for the inside "scoop"!!! You guys rock my world!

I absolutely hate this beer. The hazelnut tastes like extract to me and it is not something I want in a beer at all. I know tons of people enjoy it, but I just can't deal.

I bit the bullet and tried Hazelnut Brown Nectar this weekend - WOW!

When I purchased bomber the store clerk asked if I had ever had it before and I said know. He said I would not be disappointed and I have to admit - I LOVED it!!!

MUCH better room temperature then cold.

I will certainly tried every Rogue now and I appreciate Rogue for listing the malts and other tidbits on the bottle. I wil respond to their kindness with more purchases AND I'll brew some on my own.

Back