"No Boil" Extract Question from the Brew Babe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Aloha Ya’ll 8)

I'm a Cajun lady currently living in Hawaii and hoping to get started in homebrewing. I come from a couple generations of wine, champagne and beer (malt extract syrup) makers. I hope to carry on something of the tradition. My husband likes something along pale ales, I like a range from stout to bock to wheat beer to lambic.

As I was taking out my homemade French bread from the oven, I started wondering about “No Boil” extracts and kits. Again, I should preface that our goal is to one day use “all grain” or “partial grain” brewing. For now, as I am a woman, I’ll continue to ask some “silly” ;-) novice questions.

So, can anyone provide wisdom, pros/cons, picks and pans regarding “no boil” extracts and kits such as the “Beer Machine”? Those of you in the South may appreciate it this more, but you wouldn’t believe what cheap beer costs here ;-) . Homebrewing that would produce a tasty beer could possibly equal the cost of purchasing “cheap” beer in Hawaii. It sure as hell can compete with the “higher class” and import beers. Its all import here!
;-). So, as I consider and collect all the bells, whistles, tools, shrunken heads ;-) , I ask about what appears to the nearly the easiest way for the beginner to start off in the meantime.

Meanwhile, I’ve found someone who used to own a homebrew store and we’re waiting to hear back from him about supplies, yeasts, DME and canned extracts. I also have a query in to a homebrew store off-island in Honolulu.

For those who’ve dared to address my maniacal questions about unmalted grain on 4-9-05 (unmalted grain in the "Beginner's Forum" section), thank you. I’ve learned much already. I suppose I should provide more detail about this recipe I’m speaking of that uses unmalted grain. But perhaps another day…..

I had failed to mention that I’ve discovered that usually the “free shipping” is for a country called “the continental United States”. J (hee hee) Hence, free ground shipping. I can’t thank you enough already for your kindness. I need all the help I can get, I tried dying my hair to a brunette to make me smarter, but it just didn’t work…. ;-) ;-) ;-)

You pretty much need to boil the wort to make good beer. For any number of reasons. Sanitation and hopping would top my list.

For the beginner, I'd recommend a bucket, a carboy, and some extract/steeped grain recipes. Use liquid yeast and whole hops and you can make darn good beer.

Welcome to the forum! You lucky lady living in Hawaii! I'll be on the Big Island in a few weeks. I am SO STOKED!!!

My very first attempt to homebrew some 10-odd years ago while living in Houston was with a no boil kit. I used the finished product to kill fire ants in my back yard while I drank a Pearl.

hi

I'm still on the kit beers, they're drinkable and a cheap alternative. but i'm sure once i cross the line into proper brewing there'll be no turning back. i am looking forward to adding some hops or somthing to my next kit brew. i've spoke to my local home brew guy and he was going to get me started on adding a bit to my kit beers over the next couple of batches to see the change.
i'll keep you posted on the results if you'd like.

duggysbrew said:
hi

I'm still on the kit beers, they're drinkable and a cheap alternative. but i'm sure once i cross the line into proper brewing there'll be no turning back. i am looking forward to adding some hops or somthing to my next kit brew. i've spoke to my local home brew guy and he was going to get me started on adding a bit to my kit beers over the next couple of batches to see the change.
i'll keep you posted on the results if you'd like.

You mean you found a shop in Queensland where they do something other than just sell kit beers!!!

All the shops around me (in Brisbane) just want to concentrate on kit beers. They sell grains, unhopped malts and hops but are not exactly pushing it or able to give tonnes of advice.

I've had to rely on our friends from the US for documentation, books, websites etc.

Is Kit brewing that much bigger in Australia? Is that why Cooper's is so popular here? How does the beer culture differ in Australia?

Holy **** this thread was in a time capsule! You rescued it Jette! WOW! Necro indeed!

Back