Most Expensive Yeast starter ever.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
So the other day I brewed up a Strong Scotch Ale. Tasted great on when I took the reading today. But I figured I would post this. I was reminded earlier when I was trolling some of the stir plate threads. The day before I brewed I went to get the yeast so I could make a starter that was big enough for the 1.086 brew. But I thought I would try something since I know I would be doing a lot of driving that day and had to run a few errands. I boiled up my starter liquid and chilled it off. I put it into my 1/2gal jug that I do all my starters in and headed off to the LHBS with my jug. Picked up the yeast and popped the smack pack and continued to walk around the store for about 45 min. I got back up to the counter with 2 arm fulls of supplies and cashed out. Once I got out to my truck the smack pack had swelled and I tossed it into the 1/2gal jug for my started.
I did a whole bunch of driving around on errands that day and all in all I did about 4 hours of drive between errands. The whole time I had the starter sitting on the passenger seat of my truck, shaking around and such and If I hit a smooth patch of road (not common in the spring in Buffalo) I would just give it a swirl. Anyways, after all that driving, this starter ended up being about 3 times bigger than any other starter that I have ever made. Usually I just mix everything up and give it a swirl every few hours...
So when I pitched this starter I had fermentation start within about 90min I think. I have never seen something take off this fast before.
Oh and had it not been for the anti-foam I put in I would of had a massive blow off problem. The krausen was still 6 inches even with the antifoam in there.
:off: Sorry Just though I would share this interesting observance since I dont have a stir plate and got what I saw as a very similar finished product.

The most expensive starter I ever heard of was when Jamil made a starter out of unicorn tears, with yeast he'd extracted from the Holy Shroud of Turin.

The fuzz frowns on open intoxicants in the vehicle with you.

I wonder what the take would be on fermenting a batch/starter in the car with you.

????

Blender said:
Expensive or explosive? It's late and I may be confused.

Me too- I kept expecting to read about how the thing blew up all over the windshield, blocking his vision causing him to rear-end a busload of school kids leading to a zillion dollar lawsuit..............:confused:

expensive. I spend close to 30$ in gas while I was driving around. But it was explosive. Sorry for the confusion. It was late and I was a little druck

Back