Hilderbrandts Ginger Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradbase

Reaction score
It's not really beer, but it is fermented...

I got this recipe ~15 years ago from a friend and have not yet made a batch :(

Maybe it can be modified??? I don't know how, I started my first brew 3 days ago.

The Plant
Ingredients
  • Lemons, 2
  • Sultanas, 8 (+/- some. No preservatives please, they are here to aid in starting fermentation)
  • Water, 2 cups
  • Sugar, 32 teaspoons
  • Ground Ginger 14 teaspoons

Method
Put lemons and sultanas in a jar with 2 cups of cold (room temperature) water. Place a cloth over it for 2 - 3 days. After this time remove the cloth and fit the lid to the jar. Feed the plant daily for a week with 2 teaspoons of ginger and 4 teaspoons of sugar. It should begin fermenting.

The Beer
Ingredients
  • Sugar, 4 cups
  • Lemon juice, 4 lemons' worth
  • Water - boiling, 4 cups
  • Water - cold, 28 cups

Method
Dissolve sugar in boiling water. Pour sugar-water and lemon juice into a bucket, adding 28 cups of cold (room temperature) water. Strain the contents of the plant into a bucket, retaining the sediment (for future use, if desired). Bottle mixture from the bucket. Ginger Beer is drinkable after 2 weeks and shouldn't be left much longer.

Notes
To begin a new plant, halve the sediment left in the straining cloth and place it back in the jar with 2 cups of cold (room temperature) water. Feed for a week with sugar and ginger, as per prior instructions. Giving away the other half of the plant is a great gesture of friendship. It is best to bottle in plastic, 2 or 1.25 litre soft-drink bottles; these swell under the pressure of fermentation instead of exploding dangerously as glass bottles have a habit of doing. Refrigerate for a few hours before drinking. Store in a safe place, just in case hot weather still causes the bottles to explode. Make ginger beer during the summer, the heat aids in fermentation and it makes a very refreshing drink in hot weather.

Excuse a silly newbie question, but if I was to make half this batch, I suppose I would use a plant half as big?

I have a ginger beer brew made similar to this... my starter after 7 days feeding (the plant) was about 700 mls, added it to my fermenter of preboiled water and sugar (about 5 kgs of sugar from memory) in 22 litres.

I don't recall the SG but it woulda been about 1.050 I imagine. It stopped bubbling this week (2 months) and the FG is 990, so the brew is about 8 to 10% ABV I guess. It is very gingery and dry. It will need back sweetening when bottling for my tastes (I use Stevia).

Did I leave it brewing too long I wonder?

Back