guinness draught clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spottedbass

Reaction score
looking for a guinness draught clone, that can be done with extract and steeped grains. unable to locate one. can this be done? or to get it right does it have to be all grain? i want it to be as close as i can get it..thanks for any help.

EDIT: oops. that's all grain. Let me find you an extract one.
Ó Flannagáin Standard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP004 Irish Ale
Yeast Starter: 1/2 C. DME 1 Pint Water 36 hours
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.014
IBU: 17.2
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 29 Black
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 1 Week 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2 Weeks 64

6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 64.86 %
1.00 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
0.75 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.11 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 17.2 IBU

NOTES: Absolutely delcious. The new house stout around here. It is smooth, creamy, malty and a nice hit of chocolate. The Roasted is barely noticable through the intense cream. The aroma is powerful and malty. Perfect bitterness. This beer is great!

I've heard nothing but good about this one.

Alright. Here's my issue finding one: the characteristic smooth, creamy taste you get in a good dry stout is the result of using a portion of unmalted, flaked barley, which is no good to steep because it needs to be converted by enzymes from malted barley. Can you do PM?

Here's my idea for you.

Steeping grains:
0.5lb 6-row
1.0lb flaked barley
0.5lb chocolate malt
0.5lb roasted barley

I guess that's a lot to steep. You want to steep it at 150 for at least half an hour, because the enzymes from the 6-row will actually be converting your flaked barley. Don't let the temperature get too high during this.

Extract:
5.5lb Light LME
0.5lb Malto-dextrine

Hops:
1oz EKG 5.5% @60minutes

This will give you an OG ranging from 1.048 - 1.052 depending on how well the steeping goes. That'll give you 4.5-5% ABV, and it'll be black and smooth and creamy. About 27IBU.

Before you follow my advice, let's wait for someone with extract brewing chops to tell me whether or not my idea to get enzymatic conversion in the mash is totally crazy.

Brewer's Best Dry Irish Stout is a great beer (better than guiness IMO). It could use some extra 2-row cause it's pretty low ABV. So Adding a pound of 2-row or 6-row to the specialty grains plus maybe some oats or flaked barley and mashing that would probably make for a fantastic stout.

6-8 Lbs Dark DME

Steeping Grains
1 Lbs Roasted
.5 Lbs C-55
.25 Black Patent
.3 Lbs acidulated Malt
1 Lbs Flaked Barley

Steep for 45 min at 145 Degrees

1 oz Target 6% AAu 60 min
.5 EK Goldings 4% AAU 60 min
No Aroma Hops

Nottingham Yeast

This is the recipe my LHBS has posted for a Guiness clone

If you steep flaked barley around 150 (and not much higher!) for long enough with enough enzymes (think six-row), it's a mash of sorts. You're not going to get good efficiency, but you'll get something out of that flaked barley, and you'll get your sugars from your malt extract.

I'm nearly certain I've read here people who have successfully done this.

i don't have here flacked barley can i achive the smoothness of the flacked barley using something else? such as oat meal for e.g?
if so can i steep it and not mash it?

Not to complicate things, but doesn't guinness actually sour a part of the batch using lambic bacteria and then add that back in? I was told that is why it has that distinctive taste compared to other like beers.

You might be able to replace the flaked barley with Carafoam, and get similar results. I've never tried it myself, but that what beersmith recommends.

2-row, 4-row, and 6-row barley refer to the number of rows of kernels on the plant. 4-row isn't used for brewing.

Short answer: 6-row may have a grainier flavor, depending on the cultivar. Generally, it's only used in the US and Mexico (there are small exceptions). It's better at converting a bunch of adjuncts(more enzymatic power). If you're a traditionalist, use 6-row or 2-row in American styles and only 2-row in others. Many American craft breweries brew all kinds of styles successfully with 6-row.

Longer answer:
  • 6-row used to have a lot higher diastatic power (more enzymes) than two-row, but with modern fully-modified 2-row grains that gap has closed some; the alpha-amylase levels are similar, but beta-amylase is different and so 6-row gives you a little more leeway when mashing and can convert more non-base malts.
  • 2-row has more uniform kernel sizes, which can make it a bit easier to mill.
  • 2-row is slightly more convertable, though modern 6-rows have closed that gap to a negligible (1-2%) difference
  • 6-row has higher levels of wort-soluable proteins; that can contribute to DMS production, so so people give it a longer boil as with pilsen malt.
  • The higher level of proteins in 6-row mean that it's kilned at higher temps to avoid getting too dark. So highly kilned but not roasted malts--e.g. Munich--may show some flavor differences between 6 and 2-row. For roasted malts--including crystal/caramel malts--there's not much difference.
  • 6-row traditionally had a much grainier taste, but that's not nearly as true with modern varieties
  • 6-row barleys are all spring cultivars (plant in spring and harvest around early fall); there are both spring and fall cultivars of 2-row.

Back