Tincture for pumpkin beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimmerj81

Reaction score
So it's that time of year where I need to start planning my pumpkin beer and I came up with the idea to do the spices in an alcohol tincture and adding it to the finished beer rather than in the boil. Has anyone tried this? I'm wondering if it's a good idea or if spices like nutmeg benefit from a little bit of boiling to get more of a baked sort of flavor.

I've done this and it works wonderfully. I mainly keg, so I filled bottles (which I had dosed with the tincture) from the keg. I would imagine results will vary, but about 3 ml of the tincture in a 22 oz bottle was just about right.

With spiced beers, I try to add part of the spices to the end of the boil & part post-fermentation. Jamil has mentioned getting different flavors from the spices depending on when/how they are added.

If I were you, I'd add 1/3 of the spices you plan on using at the end of the boil & use your tincture post-fermentation to get the level of spice that you prefer.

Back