Recipe Calls for Kent Goldings, but I have both fuggles and willamette

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lambo3

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made an Irish Red a few months ago that went over well... well, kinda. It was kind of an accident recipe made from leftovers I had laying around. Grains were pale malt, vienna, little biscuit and a 40L, 1 oz. of kent goldings for 60m, and another oz for 10m.

It turned out the "leftovers red" recipe was well liked. Bittering was low for this style, but it turned out really good and has been requested for a party.

I'm gonna make a 10 gallon batch, but all I have is fuggles and willamette. I recon these are both decent substitutes, but perhaps I should use one vs. the other for bittering vs. finishing? Maybe space it out and add some for 30?

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Scott

They won't taste the same as east kent golding. But they are commonly used in English ales. I'd just get some more EKG.

Have just brewed an ESB with EKG and Willamette, 2 ozs each. Fuggles would be a regional sub for EKG i think, but maybe not to style.

FTW! YOLO, AmIRight??? lol I would pull the trigger on that recipe.

Its a good substitute, If you like those hops. I think I preferrr goldings though myself. i made an all fuggles ipa that was pretty good,they vary though(like uk or us hops)I find most of the time there is significant difference in alot of time using the same hops in different seasons. The stability of hops Ive had have varied so I dont always get good potent hops or some may havent stored well.

I havent used willamette enough to tell the difference.Its just a matter of preference alot of times the stability/freshness of the hops themselves too.As well as how much you like to use. I would make it and see if you like it better. If the people really liked that batch then maybe you would want to stick to the same hopping schedule,just using those hops instead. Unless you want to split that batch and move the hop additions around some and see which one they like better maybe?

Also fuggles and willamette are usually substitues for each other and maybe somewhat similar. You could always use each in a split 10 gallon batch also to see maybe a difference/preference between them,since your origional recipe just called for goldings only.

Just gonna throw out there First Gold has done me quite well in an esb. And is pretty darn awesome. Despite not being big on this Burton ale yeast I used,I think I can still get over that.Its got a strong minerally tone to it, think Bass pale ale. Yet the beer is so good I almost ignore that yeast. I probably would apprecitate it more in something else that I havent discovered yet.

Back