Fermenting in corny transfer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

movet22

Reaction score
So I am currently lagering a Pils in the corny primary and did not bend the dip tube before hand. Can I transfer to my secondary/serving keg with co2 (maybe just crank the psi up a bit to get through the first bit of trub/yeast?), or will I need to auto siphon this time and bend the dip tube for next time?

Also: how do you bend your dip tube, as in, do you just bend a bit at the bottom, or more from the middle/top? (pics would be swell!)

Thanks guys and gals!

I'm assuming your lagering on the original yeast cake? I've heard of people cutting the dip tube a 1/2 inch when they primary in cornys, I think bending might be difficult without crimping the tube. I would probably just transfer with an auto siphon into the serving corny. you won't get nearly as much trub transferred over that way.

Just take the dip tube out and cut off a inch or two and put it back in. Not sure why you would want to bend it instead. No need to auto siphon.

Something I have been rolling around my brain. Maybe turn the Corny upside down and let the yeast cake settle. Then take the beer out of the gas in and put gas in the beer out to transfer out should make it so the gas in post is above where the cake would be. Just an untried thought though.

No reason you can't take the dip tube out, cut and/or bend it, re-sanitize it, then put it back in.

I cut my dip tubes (at 1.25"). If you bend them, it'd have to be pretty gradual to allow you to get the tube in and out of the keg.

i would hope for those of you that are cutting your diptubes that those are dedicated fermentors and not serving ones as well.. would imagine it would be hard to get those last couple pints out if not

Get a cobra tap....pour off the yeast till you run clear...usually 12oz - 16oz...sometimes less.

Then use a liquid to liquid jumper to transfer to your serving keg....at low psi with the pressure relief open on your transfer to keg.
Here is a tip tho...make sure the keg you are transferring to is cold, else you will get foam in your transfer keg.

I do this process with all my beers and it becomes very easy once you get the hang of it.

Whatever you do....DON'T CUT YOUR LIQUID DIP TUBE.

Back