Help Please...Possible Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waxwing

Reaction score
I currently have a winter warmer in a secondary that I was hoping to have ready for Christmas. However, today I walked into my brew-room and noticed a white film covering about 40% of the top of the beer. I've never had anything like this happen as I'm usually pretty meticulous about keeping everything clean.

I took a picture (from above) of the film. It looks perfectly smooth and I'm pretty sure it's not made of bubbles. There's also condensation on the carboy directly above it.

Is it most likely some yeast or mold/bacteria? I haven't had a chance to taste it.

oVTCg.jpg

Thank you!

I'm not sure what I'm looking at here, but different yeasts cause different types of film.

A couple questions:

1. How long has this been fermenting?If more than a week, I'd take a sample for gravity reading and taste it then
2. What type of yeast was used?

I've learned to not care about what it looks like and just wait until you can sample the beer. There have been too many times in my past where I was CERTAIN the beer was infected (just by appearance), only to find out it tasted great.

Give it some time, taste/test, and don't worry about it.

all that above and maybe post a few different photos? The one above is kinda hard to figure out what we're looking at.

Back