2 quick questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTW628

Reaction score
With the bread yeast what's the mouth feel like on a jaom? Also I live in Texas so our house is usually pretty warm in the summer 72 to as high as 76 at times. What yeast would do good in that temp range and not give too think a mouth?

With the bread yeast what's the mouth feel like on a jaom? Also I live in Texas so our house is usually pretty warm in the summer 72 to as high as 76 at times. What yeast would do good in that temp range and not give too think a mouth?
If you think about it, the recipe is designed to finish sweet, with residual sugars, which by definition, should give it a more viscous mouth feel to it.

The problem is, that while it's probably been made as per the recipe (a lot of us suggest that it's kept as close to the original recipe as possible - so you've at least made one "benchmark" batch), there will be some differences. Like the water that you've used, a different source for the honey - even if you managed to stick to using the "correct" type, temperatures for the ferment dependent on location, etc etc.

So while it's likely/possible that it may have a slightly syrupy texture to it, it's not guaranteed.

I've made a number of batches like that (but allowing for different yeast - Fleischmanns is a US brand not available here - and that I make it to 1 imp gallon, not a US gallon) and find that it's still improved by ageing, the same as a "normal" mead.

Hence if it's not aged, but it's finished and the fruit has all sunk you should be fine to either leave it alone and bulk age, or bottle it and age it like that.

I'd suggest that if you're not familiar with drinking meads, then bottle it in smaller bottles (beer bottles and crown caps), so you can try and taste them periodically, then you can also be understanding the changes that ageing brings while you're making some more...... :rockin:

Ok thanks. My concern is wife had some Chaucers and said it felt too think. She is on the moscato kick right now so sweet is a plus. I'm not 100% set on doing a jaom maybe a raspberry melomel. Does anyone have a yeast that they would recommend for a noob in 70+ degree heat.

Ok thanks. My concern is wife had some Chaucers and said it felt too think. She is on the moscato kick right now so sweet is a plus. I'm not 100% set on doing a jaom maybe a raspberry melomel. Does anyone have a yeast that they would recommend for a noob in 70+ degree heat.

A good all round yeast is K1V-1116. Low maintenance, low nutrient requirement, wide temperature range, etc etc....

If you're thinking of a Mel with raspberry, I'd point out that once the sugars are fermented out, raspberry becomes an acidic dominating flavour. I've found its best used with other fruit to balance the taste (an excellent blend of fruit being raspberry and peach).

It will still, probably, need back sweetening to at least "medium" (1.010-1.020 range).

I'd also suggest you read up about the merits of whether you'd likely prefer to use the fruit in primary or secondary, as that can make a huge difference.....

Back