Beer only bars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used to be in PA brewpubs couldn't sell liquor, although that law changed some years back.

It doesn't really make sense not to sell liquor, from a business perspective. If you've got 4 people going out, and one of them isn't a beer drinker (a reasonable possibility), then the bar that sells only craft beer isn't going to see those 4 people that night.

A good craft beer bar pretty much needs to offer wine and liquor; they don't have to promote it, but will want to offer it as a choice.

There used to be a bar a few blocks away from my old girlfriend's place that served strictly draught beer (Labatt Blue only). They used to have vodka/whisky, but they stopped serving it because "too many fights broke out". On the wine front, not a lot of folks went there for sophistication, so I very much doubt they ever got asked for it.

Not exactly what you asked for, but such bars do exist :D

Used to be in PA brewpubs couldn't sell liquor, although that law changed some years back.

It doesn't really make sense not to sell liquor, from a business perspective. If you've got 4 people going out, and one of them isn't a beer drinker (a reasonable possibility), then the bar that sells only craft beer isn't going to see those 4 people that night.

A good craft beer bar pretty much needs to offer wine and liquor; they don't have to promote it, but will want to offer it as a choice.

This.

And they also need to have at least one or two kinds of BMC. Probably won't waste a tap for it but keeping some bottles on hand is neccisary.

Had one up in NH, Penuche's Ale House. It was a great dive, with ~10 taps and bottled beer only. But recently they got a full liquor license and its just not the same.

The Moan and Dove in Amherst MA (once voted the Best Beer Bar In American; seriously, google it) is a "beer only" bar. I use the quotes because although they have some tequila and whisky, most everyone goes there for the vast selection of craft beer. and free peanuts.

Most of the brew pubs in Michigan don't sell hard liquor at all. They may sell wine or mead, but unless they've now started distilling their own (some are) they don't sell any spirits.

Julohan said:
Thanks. Do you know of any that are not brewing companies?

As in no distribution? Possibly Schmohz in GR. I don't think one seen their beer anywhere but their taproom.

Julohan said:

Not that I can think of. There used to be a few that had only beer and wine but I think almost every place has a full liquor license now.

Well, ones I've frequented include:

Toronado
Amnesia
The Bistro
The Black Horse Pub

None of those places brew their own beer or serve much beyond beer and an occasional glass of wine. Okay, so Amnesia did do Soju at one point, but that's sort of an odd duck.

I've never been to Beer Revolution, but I don't think they do liquor, I could be wrong.

There are a number of places that are really beer joints, but they happen to serve food as well, places like The Trappist, Monk's Kettle and The Hopyard not sure if you're looking for those.

World of Beer does a pretty good job at it. They serve beer, cider and some wine. If you want food you can order from the places around it and they will deliver food to you.

Was just recently in Battle Creek MI and was at Arcadia Brewing Co. I think they only sold their own beer.

I think they sell liquor at the pub though... I don't remember cause when I went there I only drank beer.

But I think that Place in Marquette, Blackrocks, only sells their own beer, only sells on premises, and doesn't sell liquor. They are a very small outfit who brews beer and sells it out of a converted house.

Here in Tejas it is harder to get a license to sell liquor and there are more strict requirements on hours, bar staff, etc, so it can be fairly common. I hadn't thought of it as being that uncommon.

Two of my favorite pubs in Austin, The Draught House and The Dog and Duck sell craft beers and wine, but no liquor. One of those brews their own but the other doesn't. I like the atmosphere of both pubs, but don't know if that is specifically because of them being beer only. Occasionally though late in a long pub evening I will want some Scotch and then I am out of luck.

In Michigan ...

Tavern license ... beer and wine

Brewpub ... make it and sell it ...must also have a (full license) class c OR tavern lic. or hotel lic. (class a or b) ... dept of agriculture has much to say if you make your own as a brewpub.

FWIW ...
Brewery ... federal license ... plus state license (dleg/liquor control comm.) ...and control by mich dept of agriculture.

Tavern Licenses in Michigan ...
http://tinyurl.com/dxu542a

There a few in my area but they are just the places that couldn't afford a liquor license.

I'll second the World of Beer comment from a few posters up... WOB is a chain here in a FL that is spreading throughout the state.... I think there are about a dozen in the Tampa Bay area alone.... They usually have about 40-60 beers on tap and another 300-500 bottles. Their wine selection is very limited. My local beer bar called The Brass Tap is the same concept, lots of handles, lots of bottles, small selection of wine, and no food. The Brass Tap is located in an outdoor shopping mall and is surrounded by restaurants, several of the restaurants have dedicated servers who go to the bar and take 'to go' orders for bar patrons... It's a really nice arrangement for both the bar and surrounded restaurants.

It would be foolish of a bar that can legally sell liquor not to. I haven't pretty much ever ordered hard liquor at a bar outside of a few to do shots (don't do the 1 bourbon 1 scotch one beer) so it's not something I pay attention to but it's a hell of a way to make pure profit.

Two bars in the small college town of Davis, CA do beer only: the Davis Beer Shoppe, and University of Beer. They both do quite well.

Our brewpub here Iechyd Da only sells what they brew. Including their root and ginger beers. I hardly buy any beer since they're just a couple miles away and a great weekend hangout. lol

Latest posts

Back