kegging ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veedub

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a kegging setup. I currently have a brew in secondary that will be ready for bottling (or maybe kegging) in about 11 days. I think I can get together the kegging supplies within that timeframe but getting a kegerator built in that time frame is unlikely. Would I see any adverse effects from kegging at basement temperatures (about 70 degrees right now) until I get the fridge built?

Also with kegs say I have a small fridge setup where I can only hold 2 or 3 Kegs at a time can I fill-up and carb other kegs and then store them at room temp in the basement until needed then when one in the fridge is kicked just swap them out?

You can fill all the kegs you want and let them sit until you are ready with the kegerator. I often do this as my kegerator takes two kegs and I usually have a brew or two conditioning in kegs.

But you don't need to carb them, just let them sit there uncarbed. It takes about a week to carb the beer once on the gas. You can do it sooner if you really want to.

Once you have all the supplies, it takes about 2-3 hours to build the kegerator.

the supplies is what I expect to take some time I am hoping to score a nice craigslist find or atleast try before I cave and buy a new one. Also the place next door to my work recycles old fridges and freezers thinking about walking over there and asking them if they can keep there eyes open for me for a working unit. I think a lot of people recycle them just to get them out of there houses even though they are still working older units.

I plan to wrap it in wood to match my kitchen cabinets which will add a bit of time to the build as well.

I thought carbing them would make ensure that all oxygen was out of the keg plus they would be ready to go as soon as needed without having to wait a week on carbination. Is there any disadvantage to pressurizing them ahead of time?

Keg and hit them with 20-30 psi co2 to set the seal let it sit 15 min purge 3-5 seconds. Or add 1/3 cup of sugar and set the seal as stated above and it will carb like a big bottle. Or you can set seal and drop pressure down to 12 and leave it will take at least a month at 70* to carb, I do the last one with the kegs I have waiting for some thing to kick...called a pipeline

I'm finalizing my brew fridge aetup now. I started with a new ~10 cu. ft. standing fridge, added a bulkhead fitting, 3 gas line manifold and various sized CO2 tanks, along wit 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs. I probably could have just gone with 5 gallon kegs, but then I'd have less recipes on tap. I also have room for several bottles of brew next to the keg on the shelf.

I do plan to setup a keezer once I move, and keep the brew fridge online too. Not 100% sure of the time frame there though. Still, having tree brews on tap is pretty sweet. Plus I could carbonate/serve a fourth keg without too much more effort. Just need to finish off the bottles in that fridge first. :rockin:

I would recommend installing a bulkhead fitting in the fridge/freezer so that you can have the gas tank outside of it. It gives you more room for kegs.

I would also advise against carbonating a keg with sugar. Purge the O2 from the top of the keg (should be easy to do), place it in the keezer/kegorator and put it at serving psi (and twmp) for 1-2 weeks. If you want to carb more kegs, and store them (basement would be a good idea/place) you can after they are carbonated. Just be sure to give them enough time to chill down again before putting them back on gas, and ten serving. IF you carb a keg wit sugar you will increase the sediment in the keg. Part of the attraction of kegging is the very limited amount of sediment you get.

I've been kegging the first half of my brews (last three batches going into keg and bottles) so the clearer parts of the batches are being kegged. In theory, this should result in less sediment in the kegs. We shall see, soon, how that holds up.

Or you can set seal and drop pressure down to 12 and leave it will take at least a month at 70* to carb

I don't think it will ever fully carb at room temp and only 12 psi. You can carb at room temp in about the same amount of time as it takes at serving temps by increasing the pressure. There are numerous reference charts online to find the appropriate pressure that correlates to the temperature and desired carbonation level.

Golddiggie said:
I would also advise against carbonating a keg with sugar. Purge the O2 from the top of the keg (should be easy to do), place it in the keezer/kegorator and put it at serving psi (and twmp) for 1-2 weeks. If you want to carb more kegs, and store them (basement would be a good idea/place) you can after they are carbonated. Just be sure to give them enough time to chill down again before putting them back on gas, and ten serving. IF you carb a keg wit sugar you will increase the sediment in the keg. Part of the attraction of kegging is the very limited amount of sediment you get.

I do both...Carb on co2 and with sugar depending on what my pipeline consists of.

As long as your dip tube in your keg is on the bottom and centered, 99% of the sediment from sugar carbing should come out on the first 1/2 pint...just feed that first glass to the drain and the rest of the keg should be crystal clear.

Keep in mind though that I store my kegs near the kegerator so there is not much movement to stir the sediment when putting them in...but even a day or two at serving temps should push all the sediment down anyhow.

It took me a few days to build the kegerator because I am mechanically inept. But it works beautifully and the coffin box with moose-antler tap wows everyone. I'm sure you'll enjoy building and using the kegerator!

B

Latest posts

Back