New Obsession: La Maudite (Unibroue)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm drinking my first Maudite tonight. First impression: hot. Even when served at about 40', it's got some burn to it.

I'm not impressed by Unibroue overall. I prefer taste over ABV.

I have a bottle each of Maudite and Trois Pistoles in the fridge which were part of a mixed 12-pack raffle at the local HB club, which I won last month. I'll try one or both tomorrow, I think.

Is the unibroue 10 still available? Or was that an anniversary beer? I had it a while ago and enjoyed it a lot. Although i am fan of most of the unibroue beers.

themikehall said:
Is the unibroue 10 still available? Or was that an anniversary beer? I had it a while ago and enjoyed it a lot. Although i am fan of most of the unibroue beers.

Good Question, All Iknow is I got a few bottles of the Unibroue 15 aging in my basement!

Ok so, on a friggin whim I decided to get a case of the Sampler.

I tried a Fin du Monde and a Trois Pistoles, my wife tried an Ephemere.

I really dig the Fin du Monde. This is an excellent interpretation of a Trappist style triple fermented ale. High ratings! The Trois was very good as well, and the Ephemere had an incredible presentation in the glass...so effervescent. The green apple is quite up front, it is good but reminds me of Jolly Ranchers apple. My favorite thus far was the Fin. Unfortunately they are so smooth, I shouldn't have had the two! 9% is high my friends :D.

Maybe tonight I'll try a Maudite. It was kind of cool actually, the sampler was supposed to have 9 bottles x 3...2 Fin's, 2 Maudite, 2 Trois (I think), 1 Ephemere and 1 Don but it came with 1 Trois and some other one I can't find on their site...some "dark beer" as it were. Fwiw, this is probably the best variety sampler I have seen and imo that is what a sampler should be! Course it is fairly expensive, but then again this isn't a guzzle-it-down beer either.

Unibroue might be my very favorite brewery in the world. They have an amazing assortment of quality beers. I always thought of the Fin du Monde as more of a Duvel-like golden ale, but either way, it's TASTY.

Trois Pistoles is my favorite though. If you like the darker ones, you should definitely see if you can find a bottle of the Terrible. It's around 10%, and it only comes in 750mL bottles, but it's fantastic.

I just brewed a crude Ephemere clone earlier this week. I'd like to try and come close to Trois Pistoles one of these days as well.

Torchiest said:
I just brewed a crude Ephemere clone earlier this week. I'd like to try and come close to Trois Pistoles one of these days as well.

They would certainly be a brewery to shoot for in terms of quality and excellence. If you are going to clone, that is a good one.

I'm headed to Philthadelphia this weekend, and will be swinginng by the LHBS in town where I grewup. As a result I have been fooling around with developing this clone again.

2-row Pale Malt
60.00%
Crystal Malt
4.00%
Belgian Cara-Vienne Malt
6.00%
Belgian Aromatic Malt
6.00%
Belgian Special B Malt
10.00%
Munich Malt
10.00%
Malted Wheat
2.50%
Flaked Barley
1.50%

Hops IBU's
EKG 15 Kettle
Hallertau 7 Middle
Saaz 5 Late

I have omitted the sugar this time around in hopes of coming up with something more closely aligned with the beer. As my friend mentioned he did not see any candy sugar at the brewery.
I'm winging the hop schedule, as well as keeping it simple, and will likely tweak it some more before it's brewed. I'll be shooting for a SG ~ 1.077 which may be a little on the high side, but what the hey?:drunk:

I hear they discontinued the W3864, so it's back to the drawing board on the yeast. Perhaps WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast or the WLP 530 Belgin abbey yeast for primary fermentation, and then krausen :eek: with some yeast cultured from a 750 ml bottle of Maudite for bottling.

I bought the big bottle of Maudite tonight. Will be giving it a taste test in the next couple of days.

Glibbidy said:
I'm headed to Philthadelphia this weekend, and will be swinginng by the LHBS in town where I grewup. As a result I have been fooling around with developing this clone again.

Recipe looks pretty good, although I'm a little confused about using wheat and flaked barley. Seems like all the other grains will give you enough head retention, unless you have something else in mind with those. The hops schedule looks good to me, pretty similar to what I did, actually. And, FWIW, I used the WLP530 Abbey Ale in my Trois Pistoles clone, which is coming along in secondary nicely and tastes great and fairly close to the real thing. :D

Torchiest said:
Recipe looks pretty good, although I'm a little confused about using wheat and flaked barley. Seems like all the other grains will give you enough head retention, unless you have something else in mind with those. :D
Naturally this combo is done to aid in head retention. I added a tiny amount of the flaked barley due to the fact that my friend who toured the brewey observed it as one of thier raw materials. I like blending malts on this level just enough to keep the drinker guessing what's in it. :)

Finally got around to trying a small sample tonight. I have a fairly nasty cold with stuffy head, so I probably didn't get the full effect, but what i tasted, i liked. This beer was nice and malty, and somewhat comparable to the Chimay Blue i had. Reminded me of bread.

Even better, the bottles are about 4 bucks less than Chimay.

I just bottled my Trois Pistoles clone tonight, in 750mL belgian bottles. It's really close, and VERY tasty! I'm totally jazzed about it. I can't wait to pop one in about a month!

No, I put it together myself after looking at some other recipes. Here it is, if you're curious:

Three Pistol Whipping
10.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
0.75 lb Caramunich Malt
0.25 lb Biscuit Malt
0.13 lb Chocolate Malt
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [4.00%] (40 min)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.90%] (15 min)
1.00 oz Saaz [3.80%] (0 min)
0.25 tsp Coriander Seed (Boil 15.0 min)
0.25 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 15.0 min)
1.00 lb Candi Sugar, Clear
1.00 lb Candi Sugar, Dark
1 Pkgs Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530)

Haha, I hear that. Right after I finished bottling it, I was immediately getting paranoid and freaking out about running out of it, and planning my next belgian ale. Ridiculous, but what can I say? I love 'em. :tank:

I too have also been looking for a Maudite recipe. Best I can find out is that a guy named Christopher Clair won 3rd place in a competition for his clone.

I am going to email him and see if I can find anymore out. Hopefully he is a helpful guy.

I too am a big UNIBROUE fan. In fact, I drink it about every week or so. Chambly is about an hour and a half from my place.:D

This is an interesting thread. I can't wait to see if you guys come up with a good clone.

I made a quick search last night; I thought that could be of an interest to some of you.

UNIBROUE

UNIBROUE on Wikipedia

UNIBROUE beers

Cool UNIBROUE downloads

Chasse-galerie (related to the La Maudite label)

Actually, La Maudite and La blanche de Chambly was my number one and two but now that I have tasted La noire de Chambly and La Don de Dieu, they have retrograded...:eek:

Paco said:
I too am a big UNIBROUE fan. In fact, I drink it about every week or so. Chambly is about an hour and a half from my place.:D

This is an interesting thread. I can't wait to see if you guys come up with a good clone.

I made a quick search last night; I thought that could be of an interest to some of you.

UNIBROUE

UNIBROUE on Wikipedia

UNIBROUE beers

Cool UNIBROUE downloads

Chasse-galerie (related to the La Maudite label)

Actually, La Maudite and La blanche de Chambly was my number one and two but now that I have tasted La noire de Chambly and La Don de Dieu, they have retrograded...:eek:

you mean they let furriners on this board? agh! :tank:

I have read they use three different types of yeast. The one used at bottling is strictly for carbonation/conditioning and can not be cultivated to make that unique taste. That is a yeast which is filtered before bottling.

Paco said:
Eeeuuhhh... f-u-r-r-i-n-e-r-s? Sorry but what is that?... I'm mainly French so I sure need help... thanks...

He meant foreigners, but he was making a joke with a bad spelling of it. Pretty ironic that you didn't understand because English is your second language. :D

DeathBrewer said:
i've heard the bottling yeast still makes good belgian-style brews

I've heard Chimay bottle yeast was good for that, but Unibroue wasn't. It would be interesting if anyone on here has ever tried and could report results.

So I just read this thread. Did anyone actually make any of the propsed Maudite clones? I was thinking of buying some Wyeast 3864 since its available for another few weeks and giving a Belgian (hopefully in the ballpark of a Maudite) a shot at some point.

I've got 5 gallons of pistoles in primary and another 5 on the way that'll get dumped on the cake. Great stuff! A good time is getting a bunch of unibroue 750s and inviting some friends over :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

For those who have enjoyed La Maudite from UNIBROUE/UNIBREW, you might want to see if you can get Blonde/Brune D'Achouffe from Brasseurs RJ. The Spéciale Ambrée was pretty interesting too. Those are, from my point of appreciation, in a similar spirit than La Maudite though absolutely not the same...

I'm not sure if they export but I thought it was worth mentioning...

I've picked up two of their seasonal and I can't wait to try 'em. I couldn't stand the Coup de grisou; I guess I don't like buckwheat in beer...?

Cheers!

jvh261 said:
So I just read this thread. Did anyone actually make any of the propsed Maudite clones? I was thinking of buying some Wyeast 3864 since its available for another few weeks and giving a Belgian (hopefully in the ballpark of a Maudite) a shot at some point.

Funny thing. My fifth batch was an attempt at a belgian ale, and it was extremely fruity and estery early on. However, I let a few bottles age for about a year, and had one over the holidays, either Thanksgiving or Christmas. It was phenomenal. Just a few weeks ago I had a Maudite, and it was really really close to my own brew. Here's the recipe I used:

9.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract
1.00 lb Caravienne Malt
1.00 lb Munich Malt
0.25 lb Special B Malt
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (20 min)
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (10 min)
0.75 lb Molasses
0.75 lb Brown Sugar, Light
0.50 lb Honey
1 Pkgs Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500)

Like I said, it was only so so for months, but a full year of aging really helped it out a ton. I think I have one bottle left. I should brew this again so I can get to aging it. My Trois Pistoles clone has been bottled for almost ten months now. I had one of them over the holidays as well, but it wasn't as good as the other. I've got one chilling in the fridge, and I plan on drinking it today. I'll report the results back later.

I generally like the Unibroue beers. Maudite & Don de Dieu are my favorites amoung the seven I've tried.

My problem with them is that they taste more like a champagne to me than a beer. I like champagne and I like Unibroue's beers, but the taste doesn't register in the realm of "what I think of as beer".....so I never buy them. They are also too expensive, IMO.

They are a nice change of pace, however.

Where I buy Unibroue, you can get four 12oz bottles for about the same price as one 750mL bottle, so I always get the small ones.

gonzoflick said:
I have read they use three different types of yeast. The one used at bottling is strictly for carbonation/conditioning and can not be cultivated to make that unique taste. That is a yeast which is filtered before bottling.
They actually use several different strains of yeast for their line of beers, but not more than two strains per beer. They use one for fermentation, and a second (always the same) one for refermentation.

Anyone ever come up with a clone they are happy with for Maudite? Its my favorite brew, and although I have no time to brew right now I sure would love to try it next.

The recipe I posted in post #73 came out pretty close, after months and months of aging. I'm going to brew it again, after my Peanut Butter Brown and Christmas ale.

Back