Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i thought SE meant straight edge as in cut throat, seems i was wrong,heres the one i use anyway(not the actual but virtually identical-)
an-11-16-german-straight-razor-by-gotta-t1_220736195429.jpg

i thought SE meant straight edge as in cut throat,

As did I, but we are not entirely wrong. Just about every site that pimps blade gear lists "Single Edge" and you end up with a bunch of Straights. Mostly the ones with replaceable blades.

So, the GEM Micromatics are, essentially, antiques and use a basic box knife blade?

How are these any different than using one side of a DE?

From what I can tell, the SE "single edge" safety razors used the box cutter/scraper blades long before they were ever adapted to box cutting or window scraping. Probably only 1% of those blades are used for shaving anymore and I wonder if the quality is even appropriate for that task anymore.

The DE blades continue to ONLY be purposed for shaving so I'd stick with those. Added bonus is you get twice the life out of a single blade. It took me a while to figure out how to wear the blades evenly. Make a couple passes on one side, then when you would normally rinse it off in the sink, flip it instead and use the other side. Then clean the whole thing before repeating. I know, it's so obvious.

It did take a while to get used to having to make a conscious effort to turn it and use the other blade every couple of strokes.

From what I can tell, the SE "single edge" safety razors used the box cutter/scraper blades long before they were ever adapted to box cutting or window scraping. Probably only 1% of those blades are used for shaving anymore and I wonder if the quality is even appropriate for that task anymore.

Yup. I was leading into that.

The DE blades continue to ONLY be purposed for shaving so I'd stick with those. Added bonus is you get twice the life out of a single blade. It took me a while to figure out how to wear the blades evenly. Make a couple passes on one side, then when you would normally rinse it off in the sink, flip it instead and use the other side. Then clean the whole thing before repeating. I know, it's so obvious.

It did take a while to get used to having to make a conscious effort to turn it and use the other blade every couple of strokes.

Maybe a throwback from long ago using a DE, I dunno. I just use the one side for the with the grain down stroke (example) and then the other side for the against the grain up stroke.

Like a paint brush.

The DE blades continue to ONLY be purposed for shaving so I'd stick with those. Added bonus is you get twice the life out of a single blade.

gem and other manufacturers still make blades specifically for the SE razors. you can get them at walgreens, cvs, grocery stores, etc. i'm not sure about the 'double life' that you can get out of DE blades, they are so thin and weak that they (even though they have two sides), only hold up for one shave (depending on what blade maker you use of course) for me. the SE blades make it two, if not three shaves. i'm not trying to say don't use the DE shavers, if those work, great. but if you are interested in trying another slant on the wet shaving, the SE razors are fun to play around with, and, IMHO, give a superior shave with less effort.

I shave daily and my head weekly. I use my Derby Extra DE blade for a full week, sometimes more. I have an average, not light beard.

I shave daily and my head weekly. I use my Derby Extra DE blade for a full week, sometimes more. I have an average, not light beard.

I am hoping that by time I have dulled through the rest of ME re-fills on my head I will have a comfort level high enough to use my DE. It's the foldy bits on the back of the neck that worry me.

Put your chin on your chest. If the foldy bits are still there... hmmm.

Ha. You know the spot. maybe you don't have it but lots of bald men do.

It's that patch just above the neck/head crease. Forms a subtle lip and is a PITA to get shaved.

Foldy bits, I cant help but laugh... sorry :D

I get a visual of you trying to shave what looks like a pack of hotdogs.

Maybe. I've never actually seen back there.

Do you guys really notice a difference between shaving cream and the brush and soap/cream/whatever? I have been using a DE for about 4 years now, but only with the cream... I am fairly happy with it but change never hurts.

thanks

I switched from good brush and soap to cheap Barbasol shave cream a year ago. My face and shaved head only notice the convenience... I notice no difference otherwise. Sorry ritualists.

I switched from good brush and soap to cheap Barbasol shave cream a year ago. My face and shaved head only notice the convenience... I notice no difference otherwise. Sorry ritualists.

That's good, I am looking at getting a DE but then all the other stuff that goes with it (brush, soap, etc) just increase the price. Going to get a el cheapo Ebay DE to start and then go from there. Cheers Pilgarlic.

gem and other manufacturers still make blades specifically for the SE razors. you can get them at walgreens, cvs, grocery stores, etc. i'm not sure about the 'double life' that you can get out of DE blades, they are so thin and weak that they (even though they have two sides), only hold up for one shave (depending on what blade maker you use of course) for me. the SE blades make it two, if not three shaves. i'm not trying to say don't use the DE shavers, if those work, great. but if you are interested in trying another slant on the wet shaving, the SE razors are fun to play around with, and, IMHO, give a superior shave with less effort.

Good to know. I guess I went right for the DE and didn't research the SE much.

I've been using the same DE blade for 10 days and I can't tell that it's dulling even a bit. It must be my supple facial hair. Actually, I just decided that I'll change it out for a new one every Monday just to keep it consistent.

That's good, I am looking at getting a DE but then all the other stuff that goes with it (brush, soap, etc) just increase the price. Going to get a el cheapo Ebay DE to start and then go from there. Cheers Pilgarlic.

I figured if I'm going to go throw-back shaving, I might as well try out the full kit. It's really not that big of a deal. Look at what you spend in cartridge refills in a year. I paid $46 including shipping for the DE razor, a puck of glycerin soap, a bristle brush and 50 blades.

The amazing thing about DE shaving is how much money you can spend if you want! I have been looking into scuttles, and after finding out how much they cost, I resigned to keep using my rice bowl.

I do like the soap and brush method over canned shave cream. Not because of any real advantage, but rather I enjoy the hands-on aspect of it. the clink of the brush in the bowl, the smells of the soaps and creams.

My God, I am slowly turning into a shave snob :(

That is what I was hoping to hear... I get a great shave with little effort using my DE and Barbasol. Maybe someday I will try the traditional method but for now I will stick with the lazy method. I'm really not worried about cost as the only time I spend money on shaving is when I need a can of Barbasol :ban:

No. I don't realize any difference between soap/cream/canned gels. I do like the Proraso Eucalyptus but only because of the "mentholated" effect. To be honest, straight from the tub, the soaps tend to dry too fast for me.

Good to know. I guess I went right for the DE and didn't research the SE much.

I've been using the same DE blade for 10 days and I can't tell that it's dulling even a bit. It must be my supple facial hair. Actually, I just decided that I'll change it out for a new one every Monday just to keep it consistent.

yeah, it all depends on what blades you use and how your hair is, etc. i bought the derby pack of 9 million blades for like 8 bucks, so i knew going in that they wouldn't last very long. i do want to try out some of the heralded blades (feathers, personna reds) someday to see the difference.

This is a really good starter set for the price. Then just get a razor off ebay or B&B and you'd be set.

Just bought a DE Gillette safety razor off of ebay, less than $10 shipped. It was made in my birth year, and was described as vintage. Hmmmm . . . :)

Now for blades, which seems to me like it would be, along with shaving technique, the critical piece. After looking around at the descriptions here http://www.leesrazors.com/categories/Razors/Razor-Blades/ it seems that the best blades are Feathers, Red Personna or Gillette 7s. Do folks like other blades or have preferences among these? Also, I note that these blades are made in Japan, Israel and Russia. Any domestically made blades?

Pappers, they made razors back then?? :D

I prefer feathers and sharks personally, great close shave with them.

As for domestic blades, I am not aware of any such beast.

Very interesting thread. I never even considered using "old technology". As for the razor I use now (mach 3) it tares my neck up. Ive tried electric as well with not good results. Needless to say part of the reason I have a beard now is because I HATE shaving. I will have to resurrect my fathers old DE razor that is still in my mom medicine cabinet. What do most people here soap or cream? Thanks for all the info guys

pappers, i bought the 'deal of the century' pack of derby blades. they are OK, but i would try some of the others first. all the folks at B&B say to get a sampler pack first so you can figure out what you like instead of buying thousands of blades (as many of them do) to just sit in your bathroom. from what i hear, the sharks, feathers, 7'oclocks and red personnas are favorites of many.

This is a great thread. I was going through plastic disposables like crazy. Then I read some posts here and wound up with an Edwin Jagger DE, a badger hair brush, Derby blades and some Taylor of Old Bond Street soap. It'll take me about a year to break even with the disposables, but after 5 days there's no need to go back, ever. And on top of that, I won't be filling up the earth with used-up plastic disposable razors. Some day I'll venture into the other razors and blades that've been mentioned.

How is everyone throwing out their used blades? Wrap up in tissue or what? Just got 2 young kids in the house so don't want them finding them and hurting themselves (don't know what they would be doing digging through the rubbish but you got to think of everything with kids around)

Bought a five pack of Shark blades to try - $3 shipped - at www.westcoastshaving.com

Saw some great deals on Amazon, buying lots of 50 or 100, but not much choice if I only wanted 5 or 10 to test out. Where else do folks buy blades? I'll look at my local Jewel/Osco when I'm there next, but I doubt that they carry safety blades.

How is everyone throwing out their used blades? Wrap up in tissue or what? Just got 2 young kids in the house so don't want them finding them and hurting themselves (don't know what they would be doing digging through the rubbish but you got to think of everything with kids around)

My Derby Extras come in a little white plastic case of five. I keep two in the drawer. I have two of these little cases in my drawer: one with new blades and one empty that I slip the old used ones back in to.

i have been using a straight edge razor for close to 6 years now. Before that I would use the mach 3. It took some getting used to...but now i don't get ingrown hairs, or razor burn.

I have always used shaving gel though, but recently have thought about a badger brush and cream...but I just haven't taken that plunge yet.

...and after reading this thread, i just realized how badly i need to shave. So, i'm off to do just that.

You don't have a used razor slot in your medicine cabinet?

I don't either but does anyone remember those. If your last bathroom remodel was done prior to 1980, you probably have it. The blades just drop down into the wall cavity. I've done a couple remodels and there's nothing like having to get rid of 50 blades in one shot. How? Embed in leftover thinset and entomb forever ;-)

I just use a plan to collect them in a tictac box in the back of the vanity drawer until it's full, then chuck the whole thing out into the trash at once.

I have been putting the old blades back in the wrapper from the new blade and tossing it into an empty Altoids tin up in the medicine cabinet. then when its full I toss it into the garbage can on trash night.

i have one of those cylinders that tootsie rolls come in with the piggy bank slot on the top that i toss old blades into. just tape it up and toss when ready (or recycle).

I use an old altoid tin and when its full I will duct tape it shut and toss it. Probably not the best solution with kids though. I have heard of people taking a chicken broth can and cutting a small slit in the top of it with either a flat head screwdriver or chisel and hammer. Dump or use the broth and rinse out the can a bunch of times. This way there is practically no way possible to get the used blades back out.

Best solution for kids.

Many wet shaving stores also sell "blade bank" for a couple $.

You don't have a used razor slot in your medicine cabinet?

I don't either but does anyone remember those. If your last bathroom remodel was done prior to 1980, you probably have it. The blades just drop down into the wall cavity. I've done a couple remodels and there's nothing like having to get rid of 50 blades in one shot. How? Embed in leftover thinset and entomb forever ;-)

hahahaha, thats awesome. I remember once trearing the walls out of a bathroom, I think it was actually plaster, and a ton of used blades just falling out and all over me and everywhere. Never thought to embed them back into the wall though. :mug:

i have one of those cylinders that tootsie rolls come in with the piggy bank slot on the top that i toss old blades into. just tape it up and toss when ready (or recycle).

Probably not a good idea if you have kids in the house, otherwise that is great.

I use an old altoid tin and when its full I will duct tape it shut and toss it. Probably not the best solution with kids though. I have heard of people taking a chicken broth can and cutting a small slit in the top of it with either a flat head screwdriver or chisel and hammer. Dump or use the broth and rinse out the can a bunch of times. This way there is practically no way possible to get the used blades back out.

Best solution for kids.

I have thought of this, haven't implemented it tho'.

On many of the backs of my blade packs there is a slot just like the one on the face. Several of the packs actually have "old blade here" printed but a few do not.

At any rate, to the others (because you and I have already discussed this), look at the backs of your blade packs and see if there is a old blade slot. So far, Merkur, Wilkinson, and Feather (all 10 packs) have this.

Latest posts

Back