Flat 115th Dream hopbursted ipa...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stickshaker

Reaction score
Primary for about 3 months, 3/4 cup sugar in batch prime, 1 month later zero carb. Tastes like a flat, sweet barleywine. Should I pitch a little yeast into each bottle? What say you? Oh yeah, bottles are well sealed...

You can always try adding yeast. It won't hurt anything. If there is sugar to eat, the yeast will go to work. If there isn't the yeast will jsut fall to the bottom. By the way, only use a couple of grains of dry yeast per bottle. My experience has been that the beer may get a little cloudy if you add too much in each bottle.

what yeast?

Yeah 3 months in primary seems a bit long... some yeast can really floccuate and stick to the bottom well... leaving none for the carb.

Ok, funny story. I finally got around to re-yeasting each bottle. I used Safale us-05 since its the only yeast I have around. I opened each bottle, poured a few grains in and resealed. Since I'm frugal, I was gonna reuse the caps. The first two sealed up nice, but the third didn't at all. I used new caps on the rest. At the end, I decided I should recap the first two with new caps. The first bottle went fine, but the second was an absolute gusher. This was after maybe ten minutes with the new yeast added. How can it work that fast?

Did you make a starter and what was the gravity of that starter? What type of yeast did you use?

I had trouble with that recipe being flat as well. More robust recipes like that are the reason my keggerator is now a high priority...

Back