10 gallon batches - boiling all electric

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakins

Reaction score
I've decided to move up to 10 gallon batches. I'm already all electric. I currently boil -- 7 gallons -- with a 4500W element that looks like this:

water-heater-element-02583.jpg

I can get 5500W elements at local hardware store that look the same. Is 4500W good enough, or should I move up to a 5500W? According to my calculations, to go from 170 (mash-out) to boiling with 12 gallons should take 17 minutes with 4500W and 14 minutes with 5500W. Does that seem reasonable in reality?

Also, I've never had any scorching issues with my element, but should I get a RIPP element like this:

water-heater-element-02963.jpg

I can't seem to find them locally and would have to order one. Is it worth it?

I would try the 4500 w, if you are unhappy or impatient, then step up. 5500w at full power might be a fairly rapid boil??? Also depends upon your kettle and the conditions you brew in.

4500 is plenty. I've had both. There is a difference between the two elements that you show though- The top one, if you dry-fire it for like 10 seconds, you get to replace it. I think the RIPP one is slightly more tolerant, but probably twice the price.

I do 10g batches with a 4500w bk. It's plenty. It doesn't take long to get 13g boiling and I lose about 2.5g in during the boil. It roars...

I use a 4500w ripp and I brew 15 gal batches. I boil for 90 min. Works just fine

You can get a 5500W RIPP element for $18? I use the RIPP, becuase for the price, why not really? If you can handle the amp load, Id go with the RIPP

EDIT: I see you already have the 4500W... dont bother with the RIPP

Set your PID to 180F in the kettle while you sparge, your boil time will be very short from 180F even with 4500W.

The top one, if you dry-fire it for like 10 seconds, you get to replace it. I think the RIPP one is slightly more tolerant, but probably twice the price.

The element I have (which looks like the top one) can be dry fired. Trust me, I know...

Set your PID to 180F in the kettle while you sparge, your boil time will be very short from 180F even with 4500W.

Sparge? What is this sparge you speak of? ;)

I'm thinking of just trying the existing 4500W one I have. Worse case, I order a RIPP one after a long brew day.

I already have PID's, SSR's etc. I have a 5500W element that I run on 120V for my RIMS, so I may can do some swapping, if needed.

I usually run the 4500W element at about 60% for 5 gallon batches. So, I'm figuring 90% for 10 gallons??

Sparge? What is this sparge you speak of? ;)

I'm thinking of just trying the existing 4500W one I have. Worse case, I order a RIPP one after a long brew day.

Even a "no sparge" results in the draining of the runnings, if you heat, while you drain... the time to boil will be very limited. Negating any real benefit to buying and building another element.

It takes me 5 minutes to reach a boil, I presume maybe 7 minutes with a 4500W element then, what is a couple (literally) minutes?

I think you are good to go

Even a "no sparge" results in the draining of the runnings, if you heat, while you drain... the time to boil will be very limited. Negating any real benefit to buying and building another element.

Yeah. I BIAB 90% of the time now and my current process is to raise to 170 for mash-out, then suspend my bag over the pot while I start my boil. So, same principle applies.

Have to buy a new step-bit first, I seem to have lost mine :(

Also, if anyone is listening, for 10 gallon batches, I'm assuming I'll want 11 gallons at end of boil (I shoot for 5.5 currently). How much should I boil off? start with 14 gallons? just boil of 1.5 gallons??

Latest posts

Back