Anyone brew with pumpkin pie filling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vesestilldrumming

Reaction score
I made a pumpkin ale two weeks ago and mistook a can of pumpkin pie filling for canned pumpkin. I tasted the brew after primary and it wasnt too bad but it had some weird oily krausen left over on the top after fermentation. OG was 1.062- FG was 1.019 after two weeks of primary. Very very hazy unfiltered look also. Gonna leave it in secondary for about a month and a half since Ill be in Ft. benning Georgia for that long. Used a whirlfloc tablet also and is still cloudy.

Also...I added fresh butternut squash to the boil as well as the large can of pumpkin pie filling.

I don't know how the beer is going to taste but I'll bet as a minimum at brew time your fun to watch.
Good luck and who knows you may be on to something.

Dean.

I made the thanksgiving ale from morebeer with 2 cans of libby's in september. When it was younger it had an overwhelming spice character and too much bitterness. I tried one last week and it was much better. The flavors mellowed and aging makes a world of difference.

I added 2 cans of Libbys right to the mash of my pumpkin beer last October. I baked them slightly on a cookie sheet to carmalize a bit after I mixed them with Vanilla extract and pumpkin pie spice the night before I brewed. It was a good beer, I think I may use a little more spice in secondary next time though as it seemed to fade quickly after the first month of drinking. Dont worry about a stuck sparge either. If it happens, just cut the grain bed with your paddle in a tic-tac-toe design. Worked like a charm.

vesestilldrumming, if you have any downtime while at Benning check out the Cannon Brewpub in downtown Columbus and Chattahoochee Brewing Co. just over the river in Phenix City.

Back