Adding front flavour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricBrew

Reaction score
So I brewed an all-grain oatmeal stout. It was fermented for 3 weeks, and bottle carbonated for 2 weeks.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with it for my second attempt at home brewing.

However, I found the flavour to be a little thin on the front end. It's got a great roasted oats/coffee flavour at the back end though.

Does anyone have any tips to add flavour/body to the beer?

The recipe I used is linked below:
http://www.tastybrew.com/newrcp/detail/490

Hi Eric. If you want to add hop flavor, increase the amount of hops at the 20, 15, and, 10 minute marks. If you want to increase body, try mashing at a little higher temp (this will also decrease yout attenuation, too). To add more malt flavors, try adding more flavorful malts, like Munich or Melanoidin.

2 weeks is also still a little young. The thin taste could be a green beer. Give it another week minimum and see how it improves, longer should continue to get better.

Can Munich or Melanoidin malts be used completely as a base malt? How about Maris Otter? The malt flavour is exactly what's missing come to think of it. It's lightly hopped as a stout, and the roasted malts can be tasted, but that's it.

Latest posts

Back