Randall Jr -- DIY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottland

Reaction score
Dogfish posted this today. They made a mini Randall; pretty cool looking.

I looked at it, thought for a moment, and realized it's basically a self-contained french press. Then I realized, they have a 'prototype' in the video, and that 'prototype' was probably just something they bought.

And it turns out, I was correct: http://www.trudeaucorp.com/ca-en/products/coffee-tea-hotdrinks/types/cups-and-mugs/p--0872035.html

BOOM! $12.95 on Amazon. I bought one, it'll be here Tuesday, and we'll see how well it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmmmm very interesting! I cant check out the video (at work). Did they just drill holes and mount some keg posts to each end?

It's just a coffee/tea mug with a mess strainer inside. Fill the mess strainer with hops/coffee/corriander/oranges, whatever, fill with beer. And drink. It's basically just adding hops directly to your pint. Nothing revolutionary. You have to give dogfish credit, they are a marketing machine, without much marketing budget.

Oh.

I was expecting some crazy stainless steel ball valve keg posts on each side of a coffee mug that you could hook up to your kegerator.

--Uninterested--

I did this once with some left over Whole leafs hops and a french press. Put a handful into our small French press, filled with my IPA from the tap. Waited 5 minutes or so then pressed the beer out and poured into a pint glass. Not worth the effort, but a decent party trick once and awhile.

Sooooo...

Dogfish logo stickers cost $7.04 now?

I guess that's inline with their beer prices.

I tried with a french press once and all I got was foam.

Can you be more specific? I assume you mean you tried it with hops. I'm hoping you didn't try it with pellets because you'll definitely get nothing but foam. Even leaf hops will generate quite a bit but it will settle. The full-size Randall actually has a foam chamber for this specific reason.

I think it looked cool enough to order myself one. I've used it twice since it arrived last night, put some fruit salad with redhook ESB and espresso beans with Guinness. I must say that the thing infuses the flavor into the beer really well. Yes it's very basic, yes it's not perfect, but it's a cool little toy and it does what it's supposed to do well. the mesh screen snaps into place very easily and stays there but the pull handle to remove it slips right off when you first tug on it. you end up having to push the pull handle to the side as you lift up to pull the mesh filter to avoid it separating. Also, you need to drink directly from the randall jr, it will spill a bit when you try to pour the beer out to a different glass. The top does a good job of keeping an airtight seal as long as you lightly close the lid, if you try to tighten it too much, the carbonation will make it pop off. this takes a little getting used to as well.

Granted, there are a few design flaws with this product but i figured out how to get around them within 2 uses. at $20 it's a very cool little beer toy. i plan to fill it with hops and 120 minute IPA tonight....i figure it's the most appropriate thing to drink out of it.

I did this once with some left over Whole leafs hops and a french press. Put a handful into our small French press, filled with my IPA from the tap. Waited 5 minutes or so then pressed the beer out and poured into a pint glass. Not worth the effort, but a decent party trick once and awhile.

I tried with a french press once and all I got was foam.

I was wandering around Target today and almost bought a french press for just this reason, then I remember these two posts.

One of the 'to-build' items on my never ending brewery checklist is a water filter housing with QDs that I can use as either a hopback post boil, or as a Randall once the beer is kegged. Havent crossed enough items off that list to even think about it yet though.

Back