Weird 'things' floating in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoxFan44

Reaction score
We opened our fermenter to transfer to a secondary for dry-hopping and we saw 3-4 things floating up top that sort of resembled jelly fish. The beer smelled fine, so I just removed them before I racked to the secondary. Any idea what these things are? It was a Rye-PA if that makes any difference. Didn't get any pictures either :/

Well seaweed adds a gelatin like substance to the boil to cause coagulation and clumping of particulate matter......maybe yours looked like jelly fish? I'd leave them in there the next time, it's not like you didn't put them in there yourself.

i just kegged my RYePA and i dry hopped it but when i opened the bucket there were a ton of jellyfish like substance. i kegged all but the top 4 inches of batch so hopefully itll turn out fine. would like to know what it is floqating though. any ideas

umm without a pic this turns into a guessing game. My guess is bacon because I love bacon!

Those jellyfish sound like small colonies of yeast on top still fermenting your beer. They'll eventually fall out after FG is reached.
Unless of course, you added jellyfish extract to your boil, in which case theyll be there for the duration.:ban:

Jellyfish only are a problem when you have a lot of baitfish contamination in your beer. Work on removing the baitfish in your process and jellyfish will no longer be an issue!

How did it smell? Were the "jellyfish" clear or did they have a color to them? Did you taste any?

thank you all for those great ideas i will be sure to pull the bacon so the baitfish will stop drinking the beer therefore giving no reason to have the jellyfish guard it from them. and yes jellyfish do sting when eaten. on a serious note it looks like the coagulated sugar before boiling however there were four of them the size of butter sticks, and it was at the end of dry-hopping for 2 weeks in the second fermentor.

How did you beer turn out? I saw the same thing in mine last weekend. It still smelled very good though. I racked to my bottling bucket and left most of those bacon jelly fish on top, but I think at least one got to the bottling bucket.

Oh man, I forgot about this thread!!!!

Chipper, if there's jelly fish in the beer, get a water report from the city right away. They're s'posed to filter those sorta things out.
Seriously, it's probably yeast rafts, no biggie. But without a pic of what you're talking about, all we can do is speculate. And crack jokes about marine life in the fermenter.

pics would help

Man+o+war.bmp

Back