does roasted barley and biscut gel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
Hello, I really like the small amount of roasted barley found in hazed and infuzed. It gives a really nice flavor to the pale ale and I was wondering if I would be able to get a small amount of roasted barley to gel well in a beer that also had a small amount of victory and biscuit malt? I'm not sure if those flavors will get along with each other so I thought I would ask you guys opinion. Thanks for any info

Not too sure. Victory would give it the nutty, toasted flavor. And Biscuit would add body, depth, and a bread like flavor/aroma.

The roasted would probably hold through, but might be muddled by the other flavors.

Although this could be a good thing?

gonna bump this hoping for a little more feedback on using biscuit and roasted barley in the same recipe. thanks for any info.

I havent had any experience with using the two together yet but I say if you want to find out exactly how well it gels... well you know the rest. Nothing wrong with starting with a mini test batch.

I hear ya, I've been working on the recipe, heres what I have so far:

13 pounds marris otter
4oz biscuit
4oz victory
1.5oz roasted barley
Fuggles to 35 IBU
Burton Water Salts
Nottingham yeast

I'm not sure yet if I want to go hoppier than that on this one, the burton salts will help some, still debating on whether to push it up into the mid 40's though

If it were me I would let the malt flavours form the majority of the flavour and just use the hops to complement that, what size batch are you doing?

Hazed and Infused is a major hop bomb and those amounts of specialty grains won't be a problem.

its a 5 gallon batch, I nailed a 2.75 gallon hazed and infused clone a few months back using the same percentage of roasted barley, so I decided to use that percentage on this beer also. Do you think its enough to get a slight roasted flavor in the beer with the 4oz of biscuit and victory? I just don't want one specialty grain to shine through more than the other, but i'm not real sure if the biscuit and victory are going to rub out the roasted barley at these percents. thanks for all the info and any more that you guys might have.

Im currently drinking an Irish Red with 2oz roasted barley and that gives it quite a bit of flavour, it was quite strong to start with but three months on its mellowed nicely. I havent had any experience with victory and biscuit malts yet but that level sounds about right to me for the roasted barley. It sounds like a tasty brew so far to me :)

Im currently drinking an Irish Red with 2oz roasted barley and that gives it quite a bit of flavour, it was quite strong to start with but three months on its mellowed nicely. I havent had any experience with victory and biscuit malts yet but that level sounds about right to me for the roasted barley. It sounds like a tasty brew so far to me :)

Pommy thats great information for my brew, thank you. I think I'll up mine from 1.5oz to 2oz just to make sure I get the roasted flavors.

The taste is certainly there in my Irish Red but that is with just pale extract and a lb of light crystal. I think 2oz would be what I would go for. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Some good advice here. I've also been looking at roasted barley for my own Irish Red recipe and was unsure of a good starting point. I was thinking 3oz but 2 might be better. I'm using it primarily for color but also to counter my biscuit/carapils, the first batch came out just a touch too malty.

Back