quick mead screw up??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyweed

Reaction score
Ok guys..I've made a few batches of mead now to become dangerous to myself, by experimenting with different yeasts, flavorings, etc. However, with that said, I think I may have screwed this simple one up.

I made a 1 gallon batch of quick mead today....as I am tired of waiting for all my other batches to age! :)

Anyway here's the initial recipe:
2lbs 3oz of Clover Honey
7 oz. of Buckwheat honey
.6 tsp - grape tannin
1/8 tsp - Fermax
5g packet of 71B-1122 yeast
Balance tap water, to make up 1 gallon.

So I wanted to add just a "little" somethin somethin to this recipe..so I threw in a single cinnamon stick......AND........1/4 teaspoon of Vanilla extract. Now stupid me didn't even read the vanilla bottle...but it said it contained 0.1% Sodium Benzoate, and phosphoric acid.

Will the sodium benzoate and phosphoric acid KILL my ferment before it even begins?? Any help on this issue would be great....I made this batch just about 3 hours ago..so it's still fairly new, and so I am wondering if I should just wait and watch for 24 hours, or take some proactive approach right now.

HELP!
Dan

No. .5% of 1/4 tsp in a 1 gallon batch is nothing.

you are worrying for no reason.

Malkore...thanks for the reply...you are correct. I worried for nothing. It's now been 8 hours since I pitched the yeast and now have active airlock action and little bubbles rising in the glass carboy. Looks like all is well.

Dan

flyweed - 1/4 teaspoon of a teaspoon, I'm sure your notice changes in temperature more than that.
Just a little note, I would add the spices and flavouring extracts towards the ending of the primary fermentation.
CO2 will drive off most of the flavors during active primary fermentation, and cinnamon has oils that can impact fermentation (slow it, or stall it). By using a stick I don't think it will be a problem, personalty I max out at two sticks for 5 gallons, but my goal is a hint of the spices.

KK...cool, thanks for the advice...LIke I said..I was just experimenting with a quick basic sweet mead recipe. in a few weeks when I go to rack this I'll taste it and maybe add some more vanilla or cinnamon too it at that point. Can always add more I guess.

Dan

Back