Racking Off And Exposing Air

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curbdawg

Reaction score
So I'm about to rack to secondary. Basically i'm gonna rack to a 6 gallon ferment bucket, clean out my carboy and then rack back into it. My question is, is it ok to expose the cider to air while racking? I would pull the airlock and bung out then siphon into open bucket. Probley about 10 minutes worth of work.

i have never had an issue with it causeing any trouble... I do only rack from one carboy into another though, not into a bucket then back. you should get to much oxadation in 10 minutes but sombody said the other that they had oxidation from merely pouring from the carboy into a juice jug. You sipohning though... i would say your alright, i have never had oxidation issues and i see no reasons why the extra step would expose it to a significantly larger ammount to allow oxidation... but i have never done it i would hold out for more information

Cheers

As long as you rack it and avoid splashing it you should be OK. Just keep everything clean, etc.
Next time I would just do the primary in the bucket, and use the carboy for the secondary, but you probably was using it for something else.

What exactly will oxidation do to cider??

well I had the orchard fill my carboys, and then bought buckets afterward, thinking i'd either get those filled, or rack into the buckets. I wanted to be able to see my cider so that is why i wanted to go back into the carboy. Hopefully for christmas i'll be getting a couple more carboys.

oxidation causes loss of color, strange flavors, or even in some extream cases bacterial infection if the air in a piticular place is piticularly nasty(say if you were brewiing in a dirty bathroom or a very very dirty kitchen, like flies and dead bodies dirty in my opinion) sometimes oxidation can cause a carboard like flavor, or possiably and oily residue which can taste slightly nasty on the top of the bucket where oxidation ions have permiated things... good luck and dont slpash alot, dont shake it like mad.... dont worry too much these are extream examples of oxidation of cider

Cheers

Back