patching pin hole in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronrad

Reaction score
i bid on 4 10 gallon chalanger kegs on ebay, they were local so i went to look at them, one had on posts or dip tubes but they all looked great, the ebay auction said all the one needed was posts and dip tubes but it has two small pin holes that leak co2 probably why the seller didint want me taking them apart. anyway from what i have read with the right soder and flux i should be able to fix the leak. jb weld has been mentioned too but its not recomended on food use items any other sugestions, they are small leaks would a epoxy work, ??????????????

i might end up taking them back, the seller falsely represented them, he had even written leaks on the one that leaks after i had first looked at it but told me he did not think it leaks, on ebay there was no mention of leaks but would much rather fix it.

This is the kegs from your other thread, right? If they were my kegs I'd use epoxy on em and let it cure the put em under pressure to see if it worked. I would also fill out very nasty feedback on the seller for misrepresenting themselves in the sale. Also, the seller not wanting to take apart something you wanted to purchase should have made your spidey sense start tingling.

i bid on 4 10 gallon chalanger kegs on ebay, they were local so i went to look at them, one had on posts or dip tubes but they all looked great, the ebay auction said all the one needed was posts and dip tubes but it has two small pin holes that leak co2 probably why the seller didint want me taking them apart. anyway from what i have read with the right soder and flux i should be able to fix the leak. jb weld has been mentioned too but its not recomended on food use items any other sugestions, they are small leaks would a epoxy work, ??????????????

i might end up taking them back, the seller falsely represented them, he had even written leaks on the one that leaks after i had first looked at it but told me he did not think it leaks, on ebay there was no mention of leaks but would much rather fix it.

Honestly if he represented the keg as "they will hold pressure", I would try and get my money back. I am sure they can be fixed with some ways better than others. You did however pay for kegs that work the seller should make it right.

other than the two pin holes at the base of the gas in fitting the kegs are in great shape, my nieghbor teaches welding the the local comunity colledge, i think i will ask him about them. i got them for a great price as long as the leaky one is fixable and want to get some beer brewed up before it gets hot. then relax all summer.

my nieghbor is going to tig weld the keg with argon gas inside the keg to that it get a smoth weld on the inside. I won't repeat what he said about jb weld or this post would get deleted. lol (and all he wants is a few home brews)

it is stainless...just tig weld a little bit over the hole. should work well. how much did you end up paying for the faulty keg?

i got 4 10 gallon kegs for $256 that makes the faulty one about $40, after welding it will still need dip tubes and posts

yes i won the ebay auction in oregon. really was only looking to buy 4 5 gallon kegs but these were a good deal got them cheaper per gallon than i usually get 5 gallon kegs and 10 gallons are rare and usually go for way more.

yes i won the ebay auction in oregon. really was only looking to buy 4 5 gallon kegs but these were a good deal got them cheaper per gallon than i usually get 5 gallon kegs and 10 gallons are rare and usually go for way more.

Oh so you're the one.
:D:ban:

My brewing friend bought kegs before that he and I thought were good and 1 of them had a pin hole in the bottom under the rubber. He did not find out until he pressureized it with beer in it and in 2 hours it tipped over (WTF?). I looked at the rubber and it was all bulged out on the bottom. The beer was leaking into the rubber from a pinhole in the stainless tank. The seller replaced it. I saved the beer by transferring to another keg using the co2 pressure because I knew that if I released the pressure the bulged rubber would force the now infected beer behind the rubber back into the corny through the pinhole. All was well again.

If not on the bottom you could purge the interior with inert gas and weld it. This would be the best fix. If on the bottom you would have to cut the rubber to weld it but who knows if there is'nt another bunch of holes almost ready to break through. I have had the same pinholes appear in my stainless pool filter and think it is a reaction to chemicals.

You must be looking at a kegerator system. Todd sells 4 ball lock cornies for $109 and throws in new O-rings for them.

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=21

thats a good price on kegs but i imagine the shipping to oregon would be close to $60 so that would make 8 5 gallon kegs 0ver $330 besides these were 10 gallon kegs and used they tend to go for more than twice what a 5 gallon does or atleast they do here.

thses kegs are chalanger 10 gallon the seats on the kegs have a narrower top, the rubbers on the dip tubes have a seat that extends down the inside and outside of the seat, northernbrewer indicates that the rubber seals i have been using from mcmasters will work on all kegs but just incase they don't(i'm going to try using one of them on them in a few) does anyone know the order number at mcmasters for the rubbers with an inset in them that are on the kegs now

Back