Let's talk about American Wheat beers, what's your favorite example?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Usually I have not been too excited about this style. I cannot think of too many I have tried because of this. I have finally gotten to where I am confident I can brew pretty darn good beer that I like. Lately I am kind of unexcited about any beers :eek:

Yes, I know there is something wrong with me!

Anyway, for some reason American wheat beers have been popping up in my head. Time to do some R&D, mostly research first though! :D

Realizing I will not be able to find many of the examples folks mention, I still wanna know. What do you all think are good commerical examples of the style?

I have had Boulavard unfiltered wheat enjoyed it though it has been many years. Looking at BM's clone to see if that sparks a chord... Locally I enjoy Harpoon's UFO occassionally in a mix pack. Those are the only ones that I can think of. I may not end up brewing one but since it seems to be speaking to me as a style and I am apparently in a slump, figured I ought to at least investigate. Warm weather is finally here as well, could be part of it.

Right.

So American Wheat. Unpopular style across the board. Thanks for clearing that up!

:ban:

I usually have my American Wheat on tap around the house. Seems to please everybody. Crafty enough to satisfy those who appreciate a good beer, but not so out-of-the-box, that the BMC crown can't enjoy too.

It's kind of the Switzerland of beer.

Three Floyd's Gumball Head is my favorite American Wheat. Although, it's probably not too true to style due to the decent hop presence in the beer.

I am a Boulevard Wheat fan. But not because it's The Best Beer Known To Man or anything. It's fairly local, and they sell it fairly cheaply around here.... even the lame gas stations usually have it. So, when it's a choice between pounding back a 12pack of Coors or a 12pack of Boulevard Wheat, I go with the wheat because I know it'll taste good and feel refreshing.

There's a link in my recipe dropdown for a Dryhop Honey Wheat that was really tasty. It was light on the wheat malt, but you could sub out a good chunk of pale for wheat. It used Cascade and Saaz and something else.

Back