fixing crack on bottom of pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Comos

Reaction score
A buddy gave me an aluminum pot that has a crack in the bottom of it. I took it thinking i could easily "patch" it. I'm really not sure what to use on it. JB weld or ? Would that contaminated the water? I plan on using it to heat sparge water.

find out whats in jb weld. i have no idea but it might not be safe for food. also it might melt in direct contact with flame. i've never used it but i wouldn't try.

find a TIG welder who welds aluminum. he'll know whether it is repairable or not. if he can't repair it for a very small fee, toss out the pot and get a new one.

if you have a propane/Mapp turbo torch, get some of the self fluxing aluminum brazing rod at a welding supply store or search the internet. Buff the area with a stainless steel wire brush, heat with torch flame, and wipe the brazing rod until it melts and flows over the crack.

that's a great idea. sure beats tossing out a pot or paying someone else to do it.

You would need a aluminum coupling or pipe nipple, likely source would be a aluminum rigid conduit coupling. Dont try the parts made from zinc alloys as they have the same melting point as the brazing rod and will just melt. The aluminum brazing rod will not stick to stainless steel so dont waste your time trying to stick stainless parts to an aluminum pot. Here are a couple types of aluminum brazing alloys, Harris AL-BRAZE 1070, Harris 52, and Uniweld UNI-4200, use of an aluminum brazing flux will help to promote capillary action with the brazing metal flowing into the joint instead of just covering the joint.

kladue said:
You would need a aluminum coupling or pipe nipple, likely source would be a aluminum rigid conduit coupling. Dont try the parts made from zinc alloys as they have the same melting point as the brazing rod and will just melt. The aluminum brazing rod will not stick to stainless steel so dont waste your time trying to stick stainless parts to an aluminum pot. Here are a couple types of aluminum brazing alloys, Harris AL-BRAZE 1070, Harris 52, and Uniweld UNI-4200, use of an aluminum brazing flux will help to promote capillary action with the brazing metal flowing into the joint instead of just covering the joint.
That went way over my head, my skills in that area peak at sweating copper. :D I think if I decide to do that I'll just find a local welding shop.

Thanks for the info though! :mug:

kladue said:
if you have a propane/Mapp turbo torch, get some of the self fluxing aluminum brazing rod at a welding supply store or search the internet. Buff the area with a stainless steel wire brush, heat with torch flame, and wipe the brazing rod until it melts and flows over the crack.

Fantastic! Thanks a lot guys

If you can solder copper you can use the aluminum brazing rod, it takes a while for the aluminum to heat up as the heat flows away from the torch flame, just be patient. Move the torch flame away from the work area when you rub the rod on the joint, use enough heat to get rod to melt and flow, then let joint cool, the longer you heat the alloy the rougher it gets.

My brewpot had a little hole in the bottom, so I took a SS screw and ran it into the hole. It's a bit hard to clean around, but it'll work til I get my keggles built.
:mug: bob

Back