Pizza in Big Green Egg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
How are big green egg grills for making pizza? I have spent years trying to perfect home made pizza. I think I have come about as far as I can on ingredients and preparation. My bottleneck now is my oven only goes up to 550 F. I'm not willing to play with it to disable the self clean door lock, so my oven just ain't ever gonna cut it.

My ideal solution would be an outdoor brick oven. They are expensive, though, even if you build it yourself. Also, not portable in case I have to move.

My understanding is the green eggs can generate the high temps needed for really good pizza. Does anyone here use them for pizza?

I do indeed. Best pizza evar!

The large BGE is 18.5" across IIRC. My pizza stone is 16.5" so no issues there.

The BGE will hit the temps you want. I've had mine up to 900*. You may melt the gasket that hot (I did), but anything south of that is no problem generally. Replace it with a nomex aftermarket one and you will have no issues at any temp.

I find mine makes the best pie at 625-650* FWIW. Takes only about 7 minutes to cook at that temp. It comes out textbook picture perfect. Right up there with the best I've ever had from anywhere.

I love my BGE. A more versatile grill does not exist in my opinion...

I don't have a BGE but I do "grilled flatbreads" on my straight up grill that gets north of 500 degrees and they're tremendous. They way I do them:

- spread a little olive oil on a ball of un-stretched out dough
- bring dough over to BGE... stretch it out to shape and then place oiled side directly on the grill for about a minute (bottom will toast and begin to crisp up)
- Remove dough from BGE and place the crisped side UP on a cutting board covered in corn meal
- add toppings to crisped side...
- slide whole thing back onto the grill for three or four minutes

KILLER!!

Back